View Single Post
Old 08-31-2009, 04:47 PM   #20
Bikebits OP
Scramblin' man

Oddometer: 202
Day 11: Bill arrives (both of them)

After another great meal at a local restaurant recommended by the woman from the motel, we had spent the previous evening glued to the weather channel.

Morning dawned foggy and wet (we were used to that by now) but the forecast was for it to get worse, not better. We had originally set the day aside for a ride around the Cabot Trail, one of North America's motorcycling must-dos. With great disappointment we decided to forgo it in order to be spared the brunt of the hurricane.

Hurricane Bill was to make landfall in Nova Scotia before noon, and the problem was we had to ride directly toward it for about two hours before we could turn west to New Brunswick, the only avenue of escape.

As Bruce and I were in front of the motel, putting our helmets on, I heard the sweet snarl of an Aprilia V twin. It was Michigan Bill again, crossing our path for the third time. I did a jumping-jack wave and he pulled into the parking lot. Bill had manged to get on the overnight ferry, which turned out to be the last one off the island with service cancelled for a day as the hurricane approached.

With everybody suited up, we rode together for a time, then Bill peeled off behind us.

By the time we crossed into New Brunswick on the Trans Canada Highway, it appeared we were skirting the worst of the storm by riding counter-clockwise around it.

We reached Fredericton NB in the mid afternoon and decided to call it a day with 623 km on the clock. At another excellent local motel we set about drying out and tended to a bit of minor bike maintenance.

It was here that I discovered that some point on the Trans-Lab had taken its toll on the Scrambler in the form of a dented front rim.

As the skies cleared once again we took an evening ride into town to see a few sights in historic Fredericton.

Tomorrow: The way home.

'06 Triumph Scrambler Trans-Labrador veteran
Bikebits is offline   Reply With Quote