View Single Post
Old 09-01-2009, 01:28 PM   #5
Kodanja OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 511
Just north of New Meadows, we could see rain up ahead. Pulled over to get the rain gear, but didn’t get too wet. The weather was a bit ominous, so we left our rain gear on until we arrived at Grangeville....we would be in and out of light rain the rest of the day.

Although it was overcast, the road remained fairly dry, and the passing landscape was soothing.

This is the Salmon River Canyon north of Riggins

We love this bike!

We approached the turnoff of Old Highway 95 just before reaching White Bird. I had wanted to go to Pitsburg Landing on the Snake River about 18 miles to the west, but I missed the turn and we headed up a different grade that was wet and slippery. After about 6-7 miles, I stopped a truck going the opposite direction and he told me we missed the turn. Oh well...the views were great down on the Salmon River Canyon.

This is Old Highway 95 just of the main highway

A shot looking back down the grade

The dirt road was nice and twisty, although slow because is was wet and slippery

This is near where we turned around. We gained about 4,000 feet and were in the low rainy clouds. We made it back to the correct turnoff and headed towards Pitsburg Landing, but after about 8 miles we were exhausted, it was getting late and wanted to get in to Grangeville so we went back to White Bird to go up the White Bird grade to Grangeville.

This is the steel bridge you cross from the main highway to go to Pitsburg Landing

Taking the “old” way into White Bird

And here is the High Bridge off Highway 95. We go under this to get into White Bird.

Next up, the White Bird grade (Old Highway 95) into Grangeville

Kodanja screwed with this post 01-11-2010 at 10:05 AM
Kodanja is offline   Reply With Quote