View Single Post
Old 09-01-2009, 03:32 PM   #25
Bikebits OP
Scramblin' man

Oddometer: 205
The Trip Home

We pretty much dispensed with picture taking for the remainder of the trip home, due to continuing wet weather and familiarity with the territory.

Setting out from Fredericton, for our twelfth day we headed west and crossed the Border into the US from McAdam NB. A rather remote crossing with two lanes and a friendly CBP officer who checked our passports and wished us well. We followed Route 6 west to I-95 for a brief stretch, then got onto old US Route 2 near Bangor ME. We followed Route 2 west through Hew Hampshire, enjoying the scenery of the White Mountains while dodging intermittent showers. We finished the day near Montpelier VT with 686 km under our belts. Another stay at a local motel with dinner at a recommended no-chain restaurant.

The next morning when we set out it was rain gear again to deal with heavy fog in the Green Mountains. About noon we crossed back into Ontario at Prescott, served by a young border officer who didn't really seem to be interested in listening to the answers we provided.

As the weather was clearing we were confronted by strong headwinds, that made for some of the most unpleasant riding of the trip. We rode straight through to Bruce's house in Toronto chalking up 719 km.

The following day, I headed out through the morning Toronto rush hour traffic, arriving at my parent's house an hour and a half later. After a brief visit I set out again along my preferred route of two lane highways in sporadic southern Ontario rain, by far the heaviest of the trip. By 3 pm I was home, having covered 391 km for the day.

The sum total for the trip was 6494 km in fourteen days according to the bike's odometer, with 6503 on the GPS. The difference was attributable to the fact I used the GPS sporadically on the ferries to track our progress at sea.

The Scrambler acquitted itself remarkably well, the smooth running engine a treat on the highways. With the modifications I had made, it was fully up to the task of tackling the Trans-Labrador Highway, with the exception of the shocks fading on the one rough section. A set of pricey Ohlins might have solved that problem, but on the other hand maybe not, as the Scrambler shocks didn't have enough travel to cope with the really rough stuff.

Although the weather was less than cooperative, it was a unique trip. Two old friends experiencing one of the most remote regions of Canada accessible by road will leave a lifetime of memories.

The people of Labrador and Newfoundland were friendly and hospitable like nowhere else I've travelled. I highly recommend the Trans-Labrador experience to anyone so inclined.

'06 Triumph Scrambler Trans-Labrador veteran
Bikebits is offline   Reply With Quote