Or maybe I should have just called this thread "yet another Trans-Lab ride report." There've certainly been quite a few of them lately, and they've all been great... so I may as well throw my own onto the pile. As it unfolds, whenever possible.
I'm starting this thread a few days early for one basic reason: the next couple nights I'm going to be madly getting the rest of my shit together. I suppose it's lucky that I didn't start a thread a long time ago as these plans started to come together (instead I just littered other people's Trans-Lab threads with my posts). Because this trip has been a long time coming.
The seed was planted probably two years ago by my friend Henning, who spoke of this long-ass dirt road that went through the middle of nowhere some 700 miles to the Labrador coast. I started thinking about it more seriously last summer as I started reading other people's Trans-Lab ride reports. Also, I had such a great time on my two Canadian trips last summer (linked in my sig below) that the idea of a longer, more remote Canadian trip appealed to me.
Planning for this trip began in earnest about nine months ago. Henning still wanted to do it, and now I did too. At some point I mentioned it to my friend James, a Brit who doesn't ride but upon moving to Vermont promptly let his redneck flag fly, bought a Jeep, lifted it, took great joy in shooting guns since he wasn't allowed to at home, etc. The idea of a long, remote road trip was as appealing to James as it was to Henning and me, and the Jeep would be a good vehicle for it. Never mind the convenience of being able to put most of our luggage in the Jeep instead of on our bikes.
A short time later, I invited my friend/ADV inmate Questor along on the trip. And he in turn invited his girlfriend, MotoAdventureGal.
Fast forward to July, with trip prep now thoroughly underway.
Questor and MotoAdventureGal rode the TAT this summer, and somewhere along the way someone told them about the Continental Divide Trail. They made the eminently sensible decision that as long as they were going to be out west anyway, they should seize the opportunity to ride the CDT. I would have done the same thing. So anyway, our group of 5 was reduced back to 3.
A week or two later, Henning received word from his boss that his vacation request had been denied. He was pissed, but there was nothing he could do about it.
So it was down to just James and me. But in short order Dan (vtbeemer) caught wind of the trip and signed on with us... and soon thereafter, Keith (keithmckenney) did the same.
And so our group of five that got depleted to two was now up to four again, and so it remains now with three days to go before we leave.
If the trip is as eventful as the planning was, it ought to be quite an adventure.