View Single Post
Old 09-02-2009, 11:06 AM   #11
Hoder
Card carrying greeny

Oddometer: 1,019
I was just drooling over one of those the other day. If I could afford it I'd almost be willing to give up my Husky for one. I wonder what the rear subframe is like.
For anyone who doesn't understand the low fender or the fairing position the bike says "Desert" not "Single Track Special". This bike is meant to be ridden at speed.

The low fender keeps road crap from flinging up off the front tire and out in front of the bike at speed. This problem is compounded with greater suspension travel and a larger gap between the tire and the fender. When this happens you ride right back into your own airborn muck and lose both your headlights and your vision from the debris. I tried to make a low fender work on my Husky but it has to be far enough away from the tire that it doesn't clog with mud and would be crushed on the lower triple clamp when the suspension bottomed. If it would have worked I'd have a low fender today.

The fairing position is like that for a reason. With a fixed fairing it needs to be far enough away from the triple clamps & handle bars to allow a full lock turn as well as allow for instrumentation as mentioned before. The angle needs to be correct so wind goes over your helmet. This helps with fatigue as well as keeps airborn crap out of your face. I'll take this setup over nothing in a 50mph headwind any day.

Here's an experiment I did with my Husky for the very reasons I mentioned above. You can see how far the fairing (from a 950 KTM) sticks out.

Here's another Gas Gas to drool over. Don't know if I'd want to trust my nuts on that seat front though. More pics here

Dave:
The 610 really makes me want to ride like a punk everywhere I go.
bikefrk:
You now understand supermoto.
Your training is complete.

Hoder screwed with this post 09-02-2009 at 01:50 PM
Hoder is offline   Reply With Quote