View Single Post
Old 09-02-2009, 01:56 PM   #11
Kodanja OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 511
We arrived in Elk River, a little town in the middle of Idaho, that once was a logging town. There were some nice old buildings still in tact.

We stopped at the Elk River Lodge because we noticed the sign for Huckleberry ice cream. We love huckleberries, so in we went.

In the back room they had a map of the US and Europe where visitors would stick a colored pin located where they were from. I didn’t photograph the Europe map, but surprisingly, a lot of foreigners have been to Elk River. The northwest area was crammed with pins.

The Owner came in and talked to us about the history of the lodge and how they made their huckleberry ice cream. Then she showed us a local map of the area. There were several things to see like the cedar grove, but we didn’t have time.

We continued on to St. Maries and had lunch at a well know spot. The back highways were great to ride and the smell of the after-rain reminded me of the coast. The passing logging trucks gave off a nice evergreen aroma, that made you keep taking deep breaths to enjoy the scent.

We had the “Rustle” burger with BBQ, onions, bacon, swiss cheese. As we got up to leave, Bud himself came over to us and said, “I see your license plate says ‘XPLOR,’ where are you from and where are you going?” When you’re on the road, it’s nice that people are interested in you.

We took the scenic eastern route alongside Lake Coeur d’Alene, but it was raining and I didn’t stop for pictures....too bad, this was a nice scenic ride. We ended up on interstate 90 into Coeur d’Alene in a downpour. It was 30 more miles to Farragut State Park where I had reserved a camping space. We thought we would go on ahead to Sandpoint and get a motel, but I wanted to try to get a refund on the camp site, so we headed in to Farragut Park.

They said that it was too late to get a refund, and my wife asked if they had any cabins. Yes, we do....you need your own bedding though. No problem, so for another $20 we take it and ride in to the park. The cabin was perfect. It had sleeping for 5, a heater and small porch with a view of lake Pend Oreille.

There were 3 cabins at this site....ours is the one on the right.

The rain had stopped by the time we got there and it was suppose to clear up the next day.

I may look a little disgruntled, by I’m actually quite happy the way things turned out.

Come on in....it’s warm

After we set up our cabin, we rode in to Bayview, about 4 miles down the road and had dinner with a nice view of the lake. We rode back to the cabin in dark and the PIAA’s really performed.

We had dinner at the Buttonhook restaurant and ate the “Chickenhook,” chicken filled with crabmeat and wrapped with bacon, red potatoes, clam chowder, shrimp cocktail and chocolate fudge cake. We split most of our meals, so this is a half portion. It was a great ending to a great day (except the weather.) We needed to treat ourselves.

Kodanja screwed with this post 01-11-2010 at 10:12 AM
Kodanja is offline   Reply With Quote