View Single Post
Old 09-03-2009, 04:53 PM   #13
Kodanja OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 510
Riding the Selkirk Loop!

We decided to take the loop clockwise. Almost all the lakes would be on our right and it would be easier to pull off the road for pics. Our plan was to meet my wife’s parents in Nelson. They came up a day earlier and got a RV space in the City Campground. We would stay with them a couple nights and use their vehicle to go on the “North Kootenay Lake Silvery Slocan Super Side Trip.” That’s a mouth-full.

Coming out of Newport, WA, we headed up 20 towards Metaline Falls.

This is a shot from the edge of town overlooking the Pend Oreille River

Just out of town is the Power House...you can read about it below

I love old structures like this

The day was really shaping up, warmer temps and partly cloudy skies. While at the Power House, we changed out of our long underwear (42F this morning) right on the side of the road.

Then we took the “Rivers, Dams & Mines Super Side Trip” through Trail and up to Castlegar. We gassed up at Salmo and my wife suggested we put on our rain gear. “I know it’s cloudy honey, but I don’t think it’s going to rain.” I try to take her advice, cause she's usually right about these things, so we put on the gear and a couple miles up the road we got poured on. We were able to skirt the thunderstorm just north of Trail. Trail seemed like an interesting town, but we didn’t stop of get pics since it was pouring!

I had wanted to see the restored train station & museum in Castlegar, so we rode in. The station was actually moved a couple hundred feet. The museum was very nice, but not much history about the railroad.

What a nice surprise to see this in a railroad museum

I love these old large format cameras....wish I had one...but you know...digital.

We arrived in Nelson and found the campground and RV. It a nice area just a few minutes from downtown. There were a lot of “woodstock” kids bumming around. There was nice separate building for picnicking, restrooms and showers. It was nice to have a free place to stay.

Had dinner that evening at Jackson’s Hole...great food

Back to the RV for a good nights sleep. The campground was full and the "woodstock" crowd had gone somewhere else. Tomorrow would be our day-trip up to Kaslo in their "cage"...oh well, we're with the folks now.

Kodanja screwed with this post 01-11-2010 at 09:18 AM
Kodanja is offline   Reply With Quote