View Single Post
Old 09-03-2009, 09:31 PM   #14
Kodanja OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 511
DAY 4 North Kootenay Lake Silvery Slocan Super Side Trip

We were up early and took our time getting ready for today’s side trip with the folks. They were looking forward to it, although it turned out to be a long day...there’s just so much to see! We packed some day gear in the car and headed northward to Balfour. We took the ferry over to Crawford Bay to see the artisans and find a bakery for a light breakfast, then back across Kootenay Lake and north to Kaslo around the side loop.

On the Ferry looking back to Balfour

It was a great day. The weather was getting better each day and we would have cloudless skies on our way back from Jasper.

Crawford Bay: First order of business....find a bakery, get coffee and a cinnamon roll, eat.

A young couple purchased this property a couple years ago and converted this garage into their bakery. It's located back in the woods. There is a nice little trail back to the Bakery. Their house is behind me. The owner’s dad is a mason and together they built the wood fired brick oven....it took 2 months to complete.

This is the owner telling his story. You can see the wood fired brick oven in the back.

Then we visited the artisan shops. Most of them were operating today (sunday)

The weaver was very nice and posed for several shots. She explained the function of the loom. It was interesting to watch her change out a spool and work the loom.

As I was taking this photo, she said that it was the most popular photo to take....darn I wasn’t the first :)

Next Stop within walking distance

This was a great workshop. The brooms were very artistic. This place is so popular they make brooms for the movies, such as Bewitched.

We also went to the glass blowing workshop and copper enamel shop. So many people pass this little artisan town by....stop on your next visit.

We headed back to the ferry and pulled up along side a couple riding a 1200GSA and a GS650 waiting in line for the ferry. They are from Canada and were headed across the lake to stay with friends. Each of us asked each other about our bikes while the girls chatted it up. Nice couple.

We make a quick stop at Ainsworth Hot Springs to check it out then arrived in Kaslo.

Had a nice lunch here. All the Canadian people, especially who cater to the public were very friendly (except for a couple of deadbeats at Jasper...all it takes is one)

We purchased a “Boarding Pass” to tour the Moyie Sternwheeler

There is some very interesting history with this area and the sternwheeler’s. Check out this link to find out more about the Moyie www.klhs.bc.ca/

I took a few pictures

It was mounted out of the water to keep it preserved and you could see the underside.

The interior was incredible and set up like a museum. We started on the main level where the cargo is held and of course the boiler and engines.

Then up to the upper level where the guest rooms, dining and parlors are.

This is the Butler’s pantry. The food was prepared on the lower level, then sent up

Here is a typical Berth. They were all about a square meter

We continued on the North Kootenay Lake Silvery Slocan Super Side Trip and took a spur road in to Sandon, an old ghost town. I wasn’t that impressed, but I took a couple pictures here. I’m sure there is a lot of history, but the buildings were few and didn’t seem too authentic. We made up for the disappointment the next day.

This silver mine was a more interesting thing to see than Sandon

This historic generating station is still running over the creek, although modernized

New Denver was a nice town with incredible views of Slocan Lake

Nelson was still a distance out, so we booked it back so we had some time in Nelson to look at the historic buildings. I won’t bore you with the descriptions of the buildings, but there is a nice walking tour you can take that describes the history.

Guess what film this fire station was filmed in

We sat down on the outside patio to have a burger at the “Diner.” Turns out it is a Greek restaurant...oh well, the food was great..so was the beer and drinks.

The day was great and enjoyable for all of us. We got to stay with the folks in their RV in Nelson and see some sites. Tomorrow were back on our own heading toward the Canadian rockies. It would be a long day to Banff.

Kodanja screwed with this post 01-11-2010 at 10:21 AM
Kodanja is offline   Reply With Quote