View Single Post
Old 09-08-2009, 09:51 PM   #15
Kodanja OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 510
DAY 5 Nelson to Banff

Took the weekend off from writing this Ride Report. Hmmm...only 3 replies? Geez, I know I don't have any shots of gnarly dirt roads, drunken riders, half naked women or foolish antics, but this is what you get. Hope you're enjoying it!

"caw caw caw caw" "caw caw caw caw" This is the sound of the crows starting their early morning conversations at the Nelson city campground. I lay in bed counting the repetitions....always in fours, then I can't stand it any longer and get up as the sun rises.

My wife and I quietly get packed as her folks sleep. We were in and out of the RV packing the bike and getting ready, then they arise to have a quick breakfast of cereal with us before our departure. I hated to leave them behind today since we had such a great day yesterday, but we we had reservations in Banff and about 325 miles to ride. We said our goodbyes and left Nelson to reach the ferry for the 8:10am departure.

We followed a small group of riders to Balfour trying to catch the ferry as well. Here is a short video boarding the Osprey.

We decided to get a coffee and roll at the same bakery in Crawford Bay we visited yesterday...it was that good. We arrived just as they were opening... the coffee was fresh and the cinnamon rolls were just coming out of the oven. Then we headed down 3A along the twisty, freshly paved surface to Creston where we would leave the Selkirk loop and head to Banff.

Here is a short video of 3A and Kootenay Lake.

Some shots along Kootenay Lake

As we approached the Creston River Valley, the landscape changed to sprawling green fields and farms.

We arrived in Creston and stopped for fuel and Canadian currency. My wife had got a migrane headache and we needed to rest, but sitting around at the local gas stop was not going to cut it. I asked about a city park and we were directed just down the side street where there was a new city park with a soothing fountain and pleasant landscaping...the perfect place for tranquility. She laid down and slept for 30 minutes in the warm sun and when she awoke, she felt much better. I was wide awake, so I just daydreamed about our ride

Downtown Creston

We stopped in Cranbrook, rode through downtown, then stopped for fuel at the Chevron. There was a nice small restaurant attached and we split a bacon cheeseburger. We asked about other restaurants to have lunch, but the clerk highly recommended Triple Os. The food and service was great and it was so convenient.

The ride had been fairly boring from Creston to Cranbrook, but just outside Cranbrook we saw this historically preservied town right along the highway. It looked very interesting so we pulled in to Fort Steele. We stepped inside the entance building and asked how much to tour the town. Free? Yep, paid by the Canadian government..very nice!

Fort Steele, first known as Galbraith's Ferry during the 1864 Kootenay Gold Rush, was renamed in 1888 in honour of Superintendent Samuel Steele of the North West Mounted Police, who peacefully settled tensions between white settlers and the Ktunaxa people.
During the mining boom of the late 1890s, Fort Steele thrived as the commercial, social and administrative centre of the region. However, Fort Steele declined after 1989, when the BC Southern Railway bypassed the town in favour of nearby Cranbrook.
Today, Fort Steele is a Heritage Town, where visitors can travel back in time to the 1890s and enjoy daily re-enactments of the town's past history and heritage year-round, with full programming from mid-June to Labour Day.

The Water Tower

There were actors throughout the town re-enacting daily life

Although the young blacksmith was just an apprentice, it was fun watching the bellows breath on the fire and the hammering of steel.

There is a story about each building...you could spend an entire weekend here.

The School House...my wife shot this with the video camera as I read the plaque on the wall, but I don't have a great narration voice, so we'll just skip it.

The town also had a small railroad for the tourists with an authentic steam locomotive.

....continued
Kodanja is offline   Reply With Quote