View Single Post
Old 09-09-2009, 05:53 PM   #158
Vance
Banned

Oddometer: 18,253
I have a sort of scummy couple of additions for the USA.

free showers/workouts/sauna/swimming pool...

Get a 1 month membership to the YMCA with the "Away" feature. The "Away" feature let's you use all of the other YMCAs in the country while traveling. It costs an extra 10 bucks or something like that. You pay this 1 month fee of about 50 bucks and they don't stamp the card with an expiration date. You just take off for as long as you want across country and use the card at other YMCAs. The computers are not linked nationally so, the visits are free to you even after your card has expired at your home YMCA.

Free drinks...

McDonalds plastic cups. Need I really say more? If you keep your cup, lid and straw in good condition, you won't ever pay for another drink. Just walk in or walk in and buy a cheap 99cent sammich and get your drink from that drink station thing. Also, they have free filtered water for your camelback. I travel with a 3 liter unit and don't pay a cent for water when doing long trips. Just hit the McDs right before you head out into the woods and fill up with ice and water. 3 liters at the end of the day from my camelback will give me ample water to eat and then brush my teath at night and in the morning and clean up in the morning before hitting the road.

More Free Showers...

My 3 liter camel back when hung from a tree is just enough water to wet. Stop flow. Soap up.... then start flow and rinse. And I'm huge so you could probably bathe with your girlfriend.

Powerline camping...

Sometimes it's hard to spot a stealth camping area when you are in a new area. The powerlines always have cleared areas near them and sometimes even trails that help you access them. Good for impending storms and dusk...

Canned fruits and Vegies...

Believe it or not. If you're not worried about weight (i.e. moto camping as opposed to hiking) and you are worried about not having enough water with you, canned foods are awesome. You know that water that you dump out before you eat them at home? It's a life saver in certain situations. Drink it up and eat the rest. No cooking necessary.
Vance is offline   Reply With Quote