Old 09-13-2009, 10:52 AM   #6
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last

Oddometer: 3,306
F800GS replacement bearings...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget Boy
Thanks for the info Woody.

Which after market replacement bearings would you recommend for the rear wheel?
Gadget Boy et al,,,amazingly,,i've used practically every brand with success,,,
generally i tend to use cost effective middle of the price range bearings,,,Koyo,SK,,,,i try to buy Timkens for all my Harley riders[politically correct],,,i check for how much grease if any they are putting in them and repack accordingly..a value added service i do not charge for,,,,

gadget,,,tempted as i am to take my destiny in my own hands and buy top-notch bearings AND install them myself;;;;in this F800GS rear bearing fiasco,,,i am inclined to force BMW to chronical the problem via a work order and pay for the parts n labor,,,we the consumer have already paid for their assumed/reputed/advertised superior QUALITY and workmanship....it is extremely counter-productive for us to fix it ourselves in this scenario,,we are essentially enablers. ,,,and IF as i suspect the bore is too small on the disc side,,,better bearings will NOT solve the problem,,,the hub needs to be bored out

i try not to buy chinese because i do not support their labor/business practices....although it has been getting ever harder to do that these days,,,

and i try to use the heat n freeze technique as often as i can,,especially on the hi end wheels we build and service,,,poor install/removal techniques i'd say shorten the life span of your bearings more than anything else.

happy weekend to ya
woody
....Wanna e-mail us... woodyswheelworks@gmail.com
......Wanna talk,,,call us
toll free... 1-866-936-0232
........If you're lost???... GPS = 39*40'33.86N x 104*59'54.69W
woody's wheel works is online now   Reply With Quote