View Single Post
Old 09-13-2009, 11:50 AM   #7
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last

Oddometer: 3,297
one less probable cause in rear BMW F800GS bearing fiasco

Quote:
Originally Posted by cisco
Woody; Thanks for chiming in. Your point of view based on years of experience is very valuable. The first thing I checked when disassembling the wheel was the length of the spacer. I removed the drive side bearing first, the spacer stuck out beyond the shoulder of the bore. This not anything I needed to measure as it was apparent.
Cisco
kudos to ya Cisco,,,that's what i wanted to hear,,this technique is used by many manufacturers,,,by having the shoulder further away from the spacers end alleviates having to be extra precise in the set-up process and minimizes your bearings having too much pre-load on them,...they will essentially self adjust.
FYI,,it is essential with this style set-up that you double check how smooth your bearings rotate after installing them..because if you tap them via the outer races you stand the chance of too much pre-load,,hence the axle tapping trick i mentioned in my previous post.

OBTW some more kudos to ya for being one of the cool analytical contributors in tmex's thread on this subject.. a few others i want to acknowledge are docking pilot,,EnderThex,indy Unlimited,Bayner and tmex himself to name a few
....Wanna e-mail us... woodyswheelworks@gmail.com
......Wanna talk,,,call us
toll free... 1-866-936-0232
........If you're lost???... GPS = 39*40'33.86N x 104*59'54.69W

woody's wheel works screwed with this post 09-13-2009 at 09:09 PM
woody's wheel works is online now   Reply With Quote