View Single Post
Old 09-16-2009, 03:12 PM   #1
Damir OP
AKA Pudla

Oddometer: 379
Bosnia & Montenegro revisited

My father and I decided to go for five day ride trough Bosnia (and Herzegovina) and Montenegro. I did similar trip with my friends two years ago.

You can find RR here: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=243240

My Dad and I have been around bikes for our whole lives. This picture is from 1953. Dad on his fatherís bike.

It all started with my late grandfather. Bike on the picture was built from WWII BMW military engine and prewar frame and gearbox. Life after WWII in Yugoslavia was hard, but grandfather was skilled mechanic and he and his friends always managed to improvise something to manufacture missing and damaged parts.

Grandfather also raced sidecars in some local races. He is standing on the right side of number 100 bike (dark leathers).

This is me on my fatherís bike in 1973. My mom is holding me.

OK, enough about us, letís start with the trip.

Plan for the first day is to ride from Karlovac (Cro, 50 km from Zagreb) to Sarajevo.

Ready to go.

We crossed into Bosnia and Herzegovina near Bihac after one hour of riding. Few pictures from the border crossing.

After obtaining some local currency in Bihac we headed towards Drvar, place of (locally, ex Yu) famous attempt by German paratroopers to capture partisan leader Tito during WWII.

I did short RR about Drvar some time ago. Here is the link: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=336513

After Drvar we left the main roads.

Then it was time for first gravel section. 30 km of nice road and amazing surroundings.

We reached Livno and started to move east towards Sarajevo. There is almost no traffic.

There is artificial lake near Rama, dam was built in 1960es. We had a nice chat with local man. He and his grandson were interested in bikes, and we were interested in area, roads and living in Rama in general.

Late afternoon we reached Jablanica, place of famous for its role in WWII Fourth anti-Partisan Offensive, while it is also known as the Fourth Enemy Offensive (Cetvrta neprijateljska ofenziva/ofanziva) or the Battle for the Wounded (Bitka za ranjenike) in ex-Yugoslav sources.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_the_Neretva

In fact, we were moving along the areas where battle took place whole first day.

There was still some riding left to reach Sarajevo, rain started to fall and it was getting late so we just took the main road.

It was time for dinner, when in Sarajevo you should try chevap. Picture is from RR mentioned at the beginning because it was dark and raining so I didnít try to make food pictures this time.

Route for the first day.

To be continuedÖ

Tunisia ride report

Ukraine, Russia and Romania

Croatian Backroads
Damir is offline   Reply With Quote