View Single Post
Old 09-28-2009, 01:40 PM   #34
Big John Sny OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 466
Ok, I am finally tearing into this thing to stop all of the oil leaks. After sending it to the shop, I was told that the double S was as good as it was going to get without going to an electronic ignition or replacing the timing chain if it is bad (the dot is still about 1/4 inch apart). While it was there I was told that there were two biggers issues with the bike to focus on first. The oil leaks (pan, timing chain cover and push rod seals) because the internal pressure of the engine was important and that the steering bearings needed to be replaced because it got notchy when they tried to adjust them. I never have felt any steering wobble, but I don't want to wait till it starts. I figured I would start with the oil leaks. Got all the gaskets. That stung the pocket book, but not as much as it sounds like the steering bearing are going to. Any advice before I start to tear into this thing? I figured I would do the cylinders like I have done my porches and VWs. I got the rotor tool and know to pop the tool with a hammer when it is snug and not try to press/turn it off with the tool. No sealant on the pan gasket. Any bad mistakes in the clymer manual? Does it ever hit a point where I am going to be able to ride the bike more than I work on it? I guess at least I will get a good look at the timing chain when I pull the cover.