View Single Post
Old 10-04-2009, 05:36 PM   #5
JMo (& piglet) OP
Dakar Dazed

Oddometer: 3,091
Hi PPiA - well where to begin?!

The stock bike is great as an adventure/trail bike - very stable, great fueling, good ground clearance and surprisingly good suspension for something quite basic... however, when you start to press on (and I mean 50mph+ sort of stuff on rough piste tracks for example), you can feel the weight of the stock wheels start to overwhelm the damping a bit... of course it's fin if you back off (and the bike never gets out of shape), bur for race speeds, I felt it would need a few improvements...

Wheels
First up the stock rear wheel is 17 inch, so that needed to be changed to 18 inch to run Michelin Deserts and Mousses - I got Talon to build me a set using Excel rims and 9 gauge spokes, plus their cush-drive rear hub which is the spec they suggest for rally bikes. The rear wheel is a custom build for the Tenere axle/disc carrier, and uses a 240mm Braking Wave disc. The front wheel is the same pattern as a KTM EXC, and uses a single oversize 270mm floating Braking Wave disc - I also changed the stock master cylinder for a smaller Brembo one - basically the same set up on a 690 rally bike.

Forks
The forks are WP 4860's, specially valved for the weight of the Tenere, and the fact it will be taking big hits. The triple clamps are CNC'd by a company in Germany (OTR Off-The-Road.de) and mount the WP forks to the steerer/headtube of the Yamaha, at a fork spacing of 190mm so the KTM wheel fits straight in. I went with this set up primarily because of availability, plus if I need any spares on the event there should be plenty of other bikes with a similar front end. The front mudguard is the KTM Adventure type, mounted to the WP forks with the Meca'System brackets.

Shock
The rear shock is an Ohlins (available for the Tenere) together with shorter linkage bones to give +35mm increase in ride height. Together with the 18 inch rear wheel, the bike now has 60mm more ride height/ground clearance front and rear.

Exhaust
The stock exhaust is heavy, and was replaced with a titanium SR racing single can (100mm shorter than their standard replacement, and no cat.), saving a good 5Kg - likewise I removed the rear light assembly, passenger footrests and bar-end weights which all add up...

Bodywork
An aluminium bashplate (OTR again) replaces the plastic guard, and I've fitted modified XR400 side panels for the race numbers. The bodywork and plastic fairing panels have been painted in a homage to the retro Yamaha Tenere colours.

The front screen has been replaced with a slightly taller one as the navigation equipment I'll be using sticks up above the stock screen. the screen uses Dzus fasteners for quick access to the wiring etc for all the navigation gear.

Navigation equipment
I have repositioned the stock instruments infront of the bars on a custom bracket, and fitted the roadbook and IMO in the now vacant position in the fairing - the GPS will mount next to the IMO (once the new bracket arrives!).

The Etrack satellite tracking unit (required on this event) will fit on a bracket above the bar clamps - the twin aerials are mounted on the rear fender panel behind the seat.

Controls
The risers and GPR steering damper are from my other rally bike (XR650R), and Renthal RC High bend bars are my preferred choice. Acerbis Rally-Pro guards and foam grips, plus the remote for the IMO/roadbook fitted to the left bar. I also had the standard seat reshaped and recovered. Footpegs are IMS superstock.

Engine
The engine is stock other than a DNA open airbox lid and oiled filter, plus a Powercommander V to get everything running smoothly with the airbox/exhaust mods. GMX also built me a heavy duty radiator - 20mm thicker than stock.

Oh, headlights are 100w high and low beam - the stock headlight unit is actually very light (plastic), and this set up is much cheaper and lighter than HID with ballasts etc. and I wanted to keep the wiring as simple as possible.

There are dozens of little bits and bobs and custom fabrications etc. I had to do to get it all together and looking as 'factory' as possible, but those are the fundamentals at least...

Glad you like it!

Jenny xx

JMo (& piglet) screwed with this post 10-04-2009 at 05:56 PM
JMo (& piglet) is offline   Reply With Quote