View Single Post
Old 10-05-2009, 04:39 AM   #1
DRZ400SK4 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,047
14 Bikes & A Whole Lotta Water

I had a PM from my buddy Darcy last week, suggesting that he and I toss our bikes in his truck and go do some off road riding this weekend. I said sure, and told him I'd post our plans to ride the Burgoyne's Cove Loop run in the Events & Meetings section of our local forum, just incase anyone else might like to tag along.

Who knew we'd end up with our largest turn-out for an RTR off road ride ever?! We had fourteen bikes along for today's ride.

The Burgoyne's Cove Loop is a 100 km dualsport ride in the Bonavista Peninsula area of Newfoundland, which includes about 25 kms of twisty coastal road, 25 kms of rolling back-woods logging roads, followed by 50 kms of trails. Thanks to a week of rainy weather, this is the most water I've ever seen on the trail section of the route. The trail passes through numerous flood plains and wetlands areas, but today they were busting at the seams. Riding up parts of the trail was more like riding upstream through a river, than anything anyone would normally refer to as a 'trail'.

To make matters worse, the weather stayed damp and drizzily for most of the day, too. But no way were any of us gonna let all the H2O on the trail and in the air dampen our spirits. Boots full of water be damned, we had ourselves an off road hoot!

And besides...

Peter's wife made sure we were all quick to warm up when we returned to our trucks, at his place in Shoal Harbour, by having on offer an unexpected and very impressive spread of coffee, tea, beer, soft drinks, donuts, and cookies for all of us to enjoy. I'm thinkin' that woman is a keeper, Peter!

Surprisingly, no one took a swim in any of the deep and slippery flood zones we rode through today, although Doug did have a little face-plant at one tricky obstacle, but his SCUBA gear wasn't required.

This may be the last big group ride of the year for us, and despite the weather, I think it was a great success.

Here's some snaps I took while leading the group through the route...

My Photos In Google Earth
DRZ400SK4 is offline   Reply With Quote