My friend Roger and I just completed a 5 day / ~1200 mile loop around the Grand Canyon.
Trip Report: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=514330
I cleaned up my active tracks and posted them here for others to enjoy.
A few points:
- We had favorable (dry) weather conditions......it would be tough to cover the mileage and enjoy the ride if these roads/trails were wet/muddy....
- I've included a few optional tracks on the northern side......see the note at the bottom of post one in the trip report.......if you've never ridden in the area I'd suggest taking the optional track over towards the Bar 10 which travels past the remains of Butch Cassidy's Hideout (not really Butch's place.....but the remains of an old structure is marked with a waypoint).......any, this route is more scenic than the Elbow Canyon route IMHO......also suggest visiting the Bar 10 ranch/viewpoint and Toroweap if you have time......both are worthy stops
- The Kane Trail above the North Rim isn't worth the effort IMHO......I left it in the file but I also drew in the suggested path which is to just proceed up Burma Rd. to 89A then drop back down to the flats on Buffalo Ranch Rd.
- It's not clear to me that we actually needed permits to travel on the Navajo Lands by the Grand Canyon but the day use/hiking permits are only ~$5 so why not make the contribution and alleviate tensions if stopped....you can obtain the permit by calling the Cameron Office of the Navajo Nation.
- As you'll read in the report, we missed Grand Canyon viewpoint number 1 (Buffalo Ranch Road area) and viewpoint number 3 (first viewpoint in Navajo lands)......but I left them in the tracks......these are the only two sections of track that I have not actually ridden.......so go ride'em......I'm anxious to see YOUR photos from those two spots....that said, we made several explorations on the Navajo lands......some worked out and some didn't......I cleaned up the tracks to the best of my abilities but they may be a bit off in a couple of areas on the Navajo lands.....nothing drastic.....
- There are two spots on the track from the South Rim to Seligman that could be improved upon (Ranch with 3 gates and Tin House).......I'm hoping someone else will figure out better routes in those areas and post active track patches around the ranch with 3 gates and Tin House
- SEE UPDATE BELOW - NO PERMITS FOR BIKES OF ANY KIND from the Hualapai to ride down to the CO. river from Peach Springs......
- Best not be shy about sand when you ride down towards Temple Bar Rd./Triangle
Enjoy the tracks/Have fun!
Teaser pic - "What a view" - Waypoint/Viewpoint # 5 on Navajo lands between Lee's Ferry and Cameron