View Single Post
Old 10-13-2009, 09:13 PM   #10
xymotic OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,364

I hung out for a couple hours just watching these guys (and getting sunburned)

It was also fun to people watch and to see all of the different cool bikes.

The sun was getting long in the day so I had to split. I briefly
entertained the idea of getting a room and heading up to Yosemite, but the weather forecast called for rain and I figured it might be better to have some stuff like a tire pump so reluctantly I headed for home.

I had to put in the spare gallon in for the first time. I decided not to go the 5 miles the wrong way to China lake for gas figuring there was something closer on the way. yeah, uh there isn't When my fuel light came indicating I had 20 miles worth of gas 30 miles from Mojave I got a little worried, so I ended up diverting 10 miles the wrong way to Cal city.

I stopped for a quick bite to eat at Wimpy's but they were closed so I went to the sports bar next door.

The quick bite took like an hour cuz the service was terrible. The food was "ok" but not picture worthy.

I really wanted to get home before dark because my taillight didn't seem to be working.

Even though I was a little stressed about riding on the 5 with no taillight, I made the time to visit the wind farm near Mojave. Every time I've passed by I have wanted to check it out.

As I passed row after row of not-yet installed towers that said "china" I started to wonder how exactly we are going to benefit from the new energy economy

It's incredible to me that they can Manufacture and ship a steel tube the size of a locomotive halfway around the world cheaper than we can make it in Pittsburgh.

Unfortunately I wasn't really able to get close to the few operational windmills so the pictures are meh. <-that's a technical term

Riding home there was a brutal wind in the passes above Lancaster. I'd be leaning left fighting the wind and then when you'd enter a cut in the mountain the wind shifted to the right. I had a one pretty hairy near miss with a car next to me the first time it happened.

I got home about 7:30PM after about 13 hours on the road.
389 Miles
60 Miles of dirt.

So that was it, just one day but it was a pretty epic day for me.
"Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted in large ones either."
Albert Einstein

Baja trip to the tip
6:10 to Yuma
trials and tribulations in the Mojave
Baja Blitz Yard sale
View Current Location via Spot Tracker

xymotic screwed with this post 10-14-2009 at 11:00 AM
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote