View Single Post
Old 10-16-2009, 09:39 PM   #76
JR Greenhorn
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodweiser
POST EM.

I got excited when I saw the "Giant Killer" title. You see, when I was a pre-driver's license teenager, my uncle gave me a box of motorcycle magazines from the '70s (trying not to show my age too much in this thread, or lack thereof ). Anyway, one rag from about '72-ish had a feature article on "Son of Giant Killer" land speed bike. The article spoke of the the 'original' Giant Killer with its pair of R5 twins (if memory serves), while the Son of Giant Killer paired up a couple of H1 triples. The article did a brief overview of the development of the bike, but somebody had cut out an ad that had the last bit of the article, so to this day I've never gotten to finish it! I think they were converting the troublesome chain coupling to Gilmer belt drives when the page break ended the article for me.

Now clearly any Giant Killer with a pair of R5 motors wasn't the original "Giant Killer", judging by the date on this magazine page. Still, I thought I'd bring this up here in hopes that one of you gents will recall either of the Giant Killer bikes I read about years ago. Maybe I could do some digging for what I have of the article and scan and upload when I get my other computer going again?

Beyond the "Son of Giant Killer" article, I remember reading a lot of race report articles describing Leo Payne and his exceptionally-skilled clutch hand. I also remember staring in awe at a close-up photo of somebody's home-built slipper clutch. Very likely one of the first ones on the scene, given the way the magazine had covered it.

Most of my generation is so into turbos these days (oops, there I go with that age thing again), but reading about these great old bikes when I was younger definately made an impression on me. Boost is all fine and dandy, but there's something very "honest" about the double- and triple-engined bikes, especially the ones free of any bodywork.
JR Greenhorn is offline   Reply With Quote