View Single Post
Old 10-18-2009, 07:23 PM   #1
EnderTheX OP
Drunken Squirrel

Oddometer: 2,715
9 Days, 3000 Miles, Searching for Dirt and Mountains in New Mexico and Texas

Hi yall, I just finished an awesome ride through Texas and New Mexico with my new adventure bike, a sexy BMW F800GS! I have been thinking about writing this report since I started the trip so I had all of you in the back of my mind while I was riding. This is my first true adventure report and it will be rather picture heavy!

Here is the map of my travels, recorded by my GPS. For some reason all the tracks only record 700 points on my Garmin 276C therefore the resolution is not that great when you travel many miles. (Let me know if someone has figured out how to do this easier) If anyone wants parts of these tracks or wants to know where the pictures were taken I still remember most of it.

I traveled most of the trip solo but I started out riding with a guy I met locally who wanted to do some cool trails out through NM, AZ, UT, and CO. He spent a lot of time on the route and did a good amount of research on the trip. As the trip progressed weather and natural instinct changed our plans as you will see.

Here are some stats from the trip:
Miles Traveled: 3062
Hours spent moving: 64
Bike Drops: 8-10
MREs eaten: 4
Longest Day: 604 miles, 10 hours moving, 12 total
Pictures taken: 514
Pictures to be used during this ride report: 173

Prequel:

Before the trip we went out and did a few drills at local off road sites. I was learning how to turn and ride through sand correctly. Byron knows his stuff; he has been racing for many years and gave me pointers on my technique. Sorry, no pictures, I was busy trying to survive!

I had a bunch of gear from previous camping trips with my SV650S but we streamlined my list and included a bunch more survival gear. My goal was to be completely self-sufficient and be able to handle any situation. I had all the tool necessary to disassemble the bike, tons of spare parts, enough food and water for 72 hours, and emergency medical and survival kits (Byron said I donít need the survival kit but I took it anyway lol, it is small).

Day 1:

I sit at my cubicle frantically working on a few documents I had to complete before being gone for a week and a half. Finally I am done and I rush home to jump into my gear and head over to Byronís house.

Packed and ready to go: I had done the 6k service myself before I left including a full nut and bolt check.

Since we left pretty late in the day we only made it to Abilene but it was a good start. I have all my pictures ready to go so I will try to post as much as I can today!
EnderTheX is offline   Reply With Quote