View Single Post
Old 10-18-2009, 11:59 PM   #4
shadman OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 125
Pedro Norte: Day 2
8AM riders meeting, slept thru breakfast. Loaded up the DRZ with Wayland and we were off like a herd of turtles. Some paperwork didn’t get done the night before so we held tight in Reynosa, generally circling the block, blocking taxi stand, driving the wrong way down one way streets, and looking like gringos. In a McAllen vs Reynosa fistfight, Reynosa would win. It’s dirty, dusty, more experienced, and doesn’t fight by the rules. Typical border town. McAllen seems like a really nice town once you experience 30 seconds of Reynosa. But it has it’s charms too.

We followed in the truck, barely keeping up with the bikes thru the busy city streets. Slabbed it out the free road to a couple of roadside stops.
Our amazing ride organizer, trail blazer, and all around good guy

Terry before his bike tipped.

Across the rising plains towards the mountains, keeping a 65 mph pace. Lots of Mexico to see. Small towns with tidy plazas, PEMEX stations, and pickup truck blaring ranchero music. In Montemorelos, on the edge of the mountains, I unloaded and joined the procession on two wheels. In a matter of minutes the scenery went from dirty, flat, and dusty to something remarkable. 20 miles up the twisty windy road I knew it was going to be a memorable trip. Pace went from slow and calm to “Safety 3rd” Many pictures taken this way up.
Ed on the Buell

Starting the climb. It’s warm.

A few small peaks

MotoPrimo on the worlds best ridden KLR.

10 miles up the climb

And into the clouds

So here was are, roughly 8 hours from home, climbing into mountains on roads built by, arguably, the worlds best concrete technicians. Smooth turns, well thought out, chiseled into solid rock, each foot of concrete a testament to the tenacity of the Mexican people. Building with rock and concrete is as natural as left foot right foot for the mixed culture of Mexico. Caliche runs in their viens.
I'm not a road builder, thank God. But I sure like to ride em fast. For those, like me, who are bad with names and faces, this is me with the beginnings of a smile on my face that lasted all week.
Peter, aka Pedro Norte in Mexico, Shadman on TWTEX.

And here is what I am smiling at:
Clouds

And valleys with streams

And mountains with fresh air

And millions of acres of completely accessible land

The first of many pictures of people stopping to take pictures, or people taking pictures of other people taking pictures, while someone takes a picture while someone else gets ready then has to stop to take a picture of the guy getting ready.......to take a picture. It's just that pretty down there.

Everywhere you turn you see the handiwork and hard labor of the people of Mexico.

And yes, it has rained a bit the last few weeks.

Just wow. Why is there not a resort here?

After a gas stop in Rayones there were three options:
1. Concreto a Galeano…dos horas
2. 28 KM of easy dirt
3. 4 hours of moderate.
I chose option 3. Best decision of the trip. I saw the whole of the vastness and solitude and beauty and simple life. And with Jeff, Richard, and Primo running a fairly hot pace has one of the best days of riding of my life.
Winding our way northwest from Rayones to an intersection that would take us south to Mimbres. OMG.

A remote village, 30 miles from anywhere, that used a floor of an old school bus for the bridge from one side of town to the other "suburb" across the stream. Thank goodness for the schoolbus, the kids use it to get to school.

Even Richard, who has been here many times before, stops to ponder how he can be so small and Mexico be so big. It's really big. Really really big. When you ride each inch of it, knob by knob, grabbing onto each little rock so you don't go off a 500 foot drop, you kind of start to realize it is big and you are small. No matter how big a boy you might be.

Or maybe he was stopping to pee. I can't remember.

No, wait, Richard was in contemplation. Motoprimo had to go.

And wherever you do go, a cactus grows by the following year.

The view got better at each turn.

A tranquil setting for a nice family ranch

Then it got strange. We popped up from the 10 mile climb onto a vast field. No fences, no civilization. Just wild mustangs and prairie dogs yelping to run away run away.

It’s hard to describe how, in a dry dusty rocky country you can pop onto a field of green, smooth enough to run 50 MPH across (yes, we chased a horse or two), and completely pristine.

We did what I’ve always wanted to do….rode up until we got to the top, where the trees started. Then rode back down.

Then South towards Mimbres and into some small forested areas. It was hard to stop for photos cause the riding was just so great.

Dual Sport Double Dragon. Primo and I spent a half hour on the descent playing cat and mouse…backing it in to corners….drifting out of turns…avoiding the one or two trucks we passed each hour.

I think I see a smile peeking out of that helmet

And finally after 10 miles of concrete into Galeana and ride HQ.

Dinner that night was amazing. We ate at the General. First meal of many great ones there. Chicken fried mexican chicken with queso blanco, an appetizer, 3 beers. Grand total $135 Pesos, or $10. Back to the square for a few beers and stories and tire kicking and we nodded off sometime around midnight. What an amazing day.
How could Thursday be any better? More updates to come.

shadman is offline   Reply With Quote