View Single Post
Old 10-19-2009, 05:20 AM   #1
DRZ400SK4 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,047
Garnish to Point Rosie Coastal Trail

Craig's idea to head down Newfoundland's Burin Peninsula and explore the coastal trail from Garnish to the old resettled outport fishing community of Point Rosie, sure turned out to be a good one. It may end up being our last new trail exploration ride of the year, but what a ride it was! I think this may now be my favorite trail on the island.

We lucked into some beautiful sunny weather today, although it was a little on the cool side, with the temperature hovering around the 5 degree Celsius (41 F) mark along the coast. And speaking of 'coast', you really get a fair share of it on this trail route. You can see the water for 95% of the trip, and you have to ride over four stretches of beach, along the way. Our total return distance on the trail was 52 kms.

The trail is mostly rocky ground and hardpack, with some sandy beaches and rocky beaches thrown into the mix. There's also lots of topography, with a nice little hillclimb around every second bend of this very twisty trail.

Craig has ridden the Baja Peninsula before, so he's had plenty of practice with sand and beaches. The riding on beach rocks experience was completely foreign to Peter and I, but we both figured it out pretty quickly, without taking a spill. The trick is to stand on the pegs, keep your weight back, the front wheel light, and gas it.

Thanks to Craig for suggesting we explore this fantastic route, once again, and for the truck ride down there, and thanks to Peter for joining us on the run. The three of us seem to enjoy riding at the same pace, so that worked out really nicely.

Here's the sat shot of the route, and a bunch of photos from the ride...

Craig and Peter chatting with a local couple, near the end of the longest stretch of beach...

The very solidly built bridge at the head of the trail...

Craig on the sandy beach...

Peter...

The lads on one of the hillclimbs...

Craig...

Trusty steeds...

Peter on one of the more precarious looking bridges...

Taking a quick break, as the locals ride by in their side by side...

The bikes taking a rest at Point Rosie...

A handful more shots of the lads on the trail...

Back to the beginning...

Some more photos from Craig's camera...

My Photos In Google Earth

DRZ400SK4 screwed with this post 10-27-2009 at 07:58 AM
DRZ400SK4 is offline   Reply With Quote