View Single Post
Old 10-20-2009, 06:48 AM   #12
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,345
Because I had to take care of my broken down truck, I missed the last part of the memorial. The plan was to take Frank's ashes up in a plane and scatter them over the mountains he loved. I assume that is what happened. Although most of us knew Frank as a motorcyclist and owner of TWO, his first love was flying. He learned to fly Stearmans in the Navy. He told me he lied about his age in the attempt to get in and see action in WWII. He missed it but did get to fly the F4U Corsair fighter as well as many other planes. He eventually finished his career as a reservist in the Navy as well as having a career flying for Eastern Airlines. He liked flying so much he had his own airport. Officially named High Valley Airport, he often referred to it as Suches International Airport. He used to offer plane rides for as little as $8 and gave people a great view of the area from above. If you think HWY 129 going up Blood Mountain is twisty when you ride it, you should see it from above.

High Valley Airport doubled as a campground and was part of TWO. Many motorcycle events were held there including the Kawasaki Good Times Rally mentioned earlier, some Chattahoochee Dual Sport Rides, and many others.

klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote