View Single Post
Old 11-07-2009, 05:44 PM   #2
Stretch67 OP
Bent, But Not Broken

Oddometer: 5,165
Sunday, October 25. With my reunion over and RocDoc's Washington DC meanderings done, we hit the road, taking the long way home (cue the old Supertramp song...)

We rode north on I-95 past Washington, taking U.S. 50 toward Annapolis, MD. We crossed the bridge over Chesapeake Bay, and rode east through the remainder of Maryland, into Delaware.

At Georgetown, we turned south into Maryland again, and then down the Virginia peninsula heading toward Norfolk.

But to get to Norfolk, we had to cross the Chesapeake Bay Bridge and Tunnel, which covers a distance of nearly 18 miles across the mouth of Chesapeake Bay. There are three sections of bridge, separated by two sections of tunnel where the water is deepest. The shipping channels pass above the submerged tunnels...

Obviously not my photo

From the Bay Bridge / Tunnel website:
Quote:
From shore to shore, the Bridge-Tunnel measures 17.6 miles (28.4 km) and is considered the world's largest bridge-tunnel complex. Construction of the span required undertaking a project of more than 12 miles of low-level trestle, two 1-mile tunnels, two bridges, almost 2 miles of causeway, four manmade islands and 5-1/2 miles of approach roads, totaling 23 miles.
http://www.cbbt.com/

On the bridge, approaching a tunnel

We continued south through Norfolk and Virginia Beach into North Carolina, then east to the Outer Banks. We arrived in Kitty Hawk after dark, and rode to Nag's Head before we found a motel.
XR400 Index

Stretch67 screwed with this post 11-07-2009 at 06:06 PM
Stretch67 is offline   Reply With Quote