View Single Post
Old 11-07-2009, 05:46 PM   #3
Stretch67 OP
Bent, But Not Broken

Oddometer: 4,913
North Carolina's Outer Banks, from north to south.

The Outer Banks are a chain of barrier islands along North Carolina's coast, separating the Atlantic Ocean from the inland sounds and waterways...

We had ridden down to Kitty Hawk from Norfolk the night before, and spent the night in Nag's Head. We would then head south on Hwy 12, past Cape Hattaras to the end of the island at Hattaras Village.

In many places, the Outer Banks are only a couple hundred yards wide. As this is looking south, the dunes are on the left, with the Atlantic Ocean just past them. The sound, several hundred square miles of calm but shallow sea water is just a few yards to the right.

We caught a passenger / auto ferry at Hattaras for the 30-40 minute trip to Ocracoke Island, the next island south. Reservations are recommended...

http://www.ncdot.org/ferry/

Ocracoke Island

The Atlantic Ocean, just past the dunes.

Leaving Ocracoke village, heading toward Cedar Island, two and a half hours away.

RocDoc containing his excitement

Ships that pass in the night

Back on the road, heading south to Beaufort (Bo-furt. Not to be confused with Bew-furt, which is in South Carolina) and Morehead City, then back onto the islands at Atlantic Beach.

You can't see it in my crappy pic, but he's giving me (and you) the ADV salute.

We continued on until the highway took us to Jacksonville, where we headed inland and toward I-95, I-20, and home. We arrived home at about 11 pm.

In all, 1876 miles in six days, stopping to smell the roses.

Thanks for coming along.
XR400 Index

Stretch67 screwed with this post 09-15-2010 at 09:40 PM
Stretch67 is offline   Reply With Quote