Thread: 6:10 to Yuma
View Single Post
Old 11-08-2009, 07:51 PM   #9
xymotic OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,366
Well rested from the night before, I woke up @ about 5:30 and hit the road. If you know me, you know this is really weird.

I was forced to go to Wal-Mart and buy a new set of earphones, and replenish the Beer. They only sell canned beer by the truckload. I just couldn't stand the thought of buying a 12 pack and wasting 6. So I got a single big Foster's. This was my first major error of the trip The checker didn't speak English, like not at all. She kept pointing at the beer and saying "six"

"six paks are on sale?"

"No, SIX!"

"six Dollars? That's pretty high"

"No, SIX!"

"six, tine, no"

"Oh I can't buy beer until six AM?"

"Si"

it was 5:59 when we started this completely unnecessary conversation and Now my beer was legal

I hate Wal Mart for completely unrelated reasons. I'm sure my disdain colored my perception of the place, but seriously, they have one checker, about a mile and a half from the door, and if they paid a few cents more than minimum wage maybe they could get somebody who speaks English AND Spanish!?!? I try and avoid it whenever I can, but sometimes especially when traveling they are the only game in town, literally.

I was rocking my new tunes on the freeway and I wanted to swing by a post office to mail myself the bulky box/instructions to the camera. The garmin drove me around in circles for a while, and by now I was really jonesing to get this show off the road as it were.

The Husky and I had the breakfast of Champions, Premium and a breakfast Burrito. Nothing but the best gas for both of us You gotta love one stop Shopping! (except Wal-Mart I know I make no sense)

Finally! Just a mile or two later I aired down and hit the dirt

THis was a 70-80 Mph road. In no time I arrived at a bit more challenging terrain, the entrance to thermal Canyon.

I could not have been a more beautiful day. It was strange to be surrounded by such beauty. The pictures do not do it justice. I was immersed in my surroundings and was not depressed for the first time in days.

Next we came to the intersection of Pinkham Canyon.

I'd been to Pinkham once before, about a year ago on our way to Baja SenorPeligro and I got the crap beaten out of us in this hellish craphole.

Ever since I've wanted to go back there.

I didn't take too many pix as I was still getting used to the sand, and the new Tires, and the idea I was finally out here.

Growing up I never liked the desert. I never appreciated how stunning it really is if you just pause for a moment and take it in. Last time I was here, everything was in Bloom, this time it's Fall, but there's still amazing vistas every where you turn.

"Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted in large ones either."
Albert Einstein

Baja trip to the tip
6:10 to Yuma
trials and tribulations in the Mojave
Baja Blitz Yard sale
View Current Location via Spot Tracker

xymotic screwed with this post 11-08-2009 at 07:59 PM
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote