View Single Post
Old 11-21-2009, 06:39 PM   #20
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

Oddometer: 7,346
DIY Install

After a particularly rocky ride, I called at Sam at G2 Ergonomics to see when he'd officially have the G2 Tamer Tube for the F800GS. Turns out, Sam had just ordered the first batch and he agreed to send me the first one!! He now has them in stock although they're still not on the website. HERE

Of course then I rode every weekend and then got sick so it wasn't until today that I was able to install it. So here's how it goes.

This is what you get:

The tube and a G2 sticker are inside.

You need to buy replacement grips. If you don't get BMW grips like people above have suggested, you need to buy two sets of grips since the left grip has a throttle sized tube. I chose the ProGrip Rally grips since that what I've had on all my dirt bikes. They're a little thicker and a little bit cushier than the stock grips. Me like. Because they're thicker, not as much heat transfers but I still like them.

First you need to take off your hand guards if you have any. Then you unscrew this 25mm Torx screw to remove the cover on the throttle cam.

I then unhooked the throttle cable from the tube and unscrewed the guide from the bottom of the housing. Then I unscrewed this Torx 10 screw to remove the switch housing cover.

The little connection with the brown and black/white wires going into is the connector for the heated grips. It just pops loose from the housing and then you unclip the little lip and you can disconnect the grips.

I hadn't unhooked the connector yet but you need to unscrew these two little 10 Torx screws to remove the rest of the housing so you can remove the tube. You also remove the Torx 25 screw as indicated.

Then you loosen this bit and slide the throttle housing off the bars.

At this point you should have the throttle tube with the wires sticking out of it in your hand. Now it's time for the "be careful" bit, removing the grips. I started at the outside end and cut through just the tip. Then I made a slit the length of the grip but NOT all the way through. If you cut all the way through you'll ruin the heating elements. Then you just tear the grip off the tube, working towards the inside.

This is what you end up with:

Take note of where the heating element wires leave the tube in relation to where the throttle cable hooks onto the tube. You want to make sure when you put it on the G2 that the wires are in pretty much the same location.

To remove the heating element from the tube, you cut off the little tabs you can see along the middle of the tube. I used a brand new razor and worked very carefully to trim them down, always slicing away from the wires in the element. Then the heating element can be peeled off the stock tube.

Here's a comparison of the two tubes:

I didn't take a picture of the next step, but essentially you just wrap the heating element around the G2 tube. Mine had enough "stick" that I didn't need to glue the element on the G2, it just stuck in place.

You then need to slightly notch the housing cover to let the wires pass through. I put a small piece of electrical tape over the notch so there wouldn't be a sharp edge.

Then you have to reconnect the connector and move the little tab that used to go inside the throttle tube and route the wires out the bottom corner like so:

You can then button eveything up and put your new grips on. I use a ton of hairspray which is wet but then dries tacky. You can use whatever you've always used, hairspray works for me. If I have any issues later, I'll safety wire the grips on.

Here you can see how the wires route out of the switch housing and onto the tube. Give the throttle a few twists to make sure you have enough slack and adjust as needed before finally buttoning everything up. I used a small wrap of electrical tape to make everything look better. I would have preferred to use shrink wrap but the little chinga on the wires wouldn't let me slide the right size shrink wrap over it.

Then I did the left hand side. I just removed the handguard, then slit the grip like I did on the throttle side. I was very careful not to slit all the way through the grip so I wouldn't cut the heating element. This is what it looks like with the grip removed.

I just used hairspray to slide the new grip on, reattached the handguard and everything was good to go.

I took the bike for a test spin and I could notice the difference. It was not such a huge difference that it was disconcerting, but it was noticeable. I really can't wait to get it in the rocks to see how it works. I'll report back when I do.

If anyone has any questions about the install please feel free to PM me or just ask here.
"You had better bring an extra magazine. Yeti's amped up on weird shit are hard to bring down." Lonestar2112

YetiGS screwed with this post 05-20-2014 at 10:35 AM
YetiGS is offline   Reply With Quote