View Single Post
Old 11-28-2009, 11:08 AM   #1
FrankS OP
...please wait...

Oddometer: 417
Zumo touch screen and digitizer replacement

After my last ride (in the rain), the screen of my zumo550 developed some flaking, it seems the outer protective film came loose.
While this would have been a perfect excuse to upgrade to the 660, I wanted to see if this is something I can repair. Turns out I canÖ

I bought a new touch screen on ebay for $18, shipped from China. This is not the LCD screen itself but just the touch sensitive layer that goes on top of it. It can be replaced in about 10 minutes.

Screen problems

New touch screen

Using a TORX 7, remove the 8 screws at the back

Unsnap the top cover, no clips holding the shell together, once the screws are loose, the bottom flap is open and the top cover removed, they come apart

Open the latch for the LCD screen (left) and the touch screen (right), slide out the ribbon cables

Unscrew the screen assembly from the front cover, take it out

Remove the silver mounting frame

Now this is the most tricky part. The touch screen is glued to another frame which sits on top the LCD. Carefully pry it off the LCD screen. I used a cutter to bend the black frame a tiny bit outwards so it will unclick from the LCD screen. Be careful, you donít want to cut into the LCD screen

Once separated, cut the old touch screen off the frame. It will most likely break but itís the part we want to replace so who cares

Remove the protective film from the back of the new touch screen

Align it with the frame and stick it on, make sure the alignment is okay, you only get once chance.

My new screen is a bit smaller than the old one so I added some sealant to the right side

Put it all back together

Test it, then calibrate the screen (switch zumo on and hold power button until the calibration menu appears (about 60 seconds).

Enjoy

Looks like I pinched the gasket on the right side a little bit, I guess I take it apart one more time and make sure it seals tightly

Regards

Frank
FrankS is offline   Reply With Quote