View Single Post
Old 11-29-2009, 01:31 PM   #1
EnderTheX OP
Drunken Squirrel

Oddometer: 2,710
My BMW F800GS and I in the National Forests of Arkansas... I will be back!

Hi everyone!!! I was feeling restless over Thanksgiving weekend since I had more of a weekend than I am used it. Here in the US where we have about 10 days of vacation a year for most people we have to make use of any free day we can and go riding!!!

I got an idea in my head earlier this week to ride up to Arkansas where they have tons of cool National Forests and find some dirt. Since I didnít know any of the dirt roads out there I enlisted the help of my fellow ADVers in the regional forum on my thread here:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=528010

The guys in AR were a great help and communicated with me throughout the trip with the help of my new fancy phone with internet access in relatively remote locations.

I only took the day before the trip (Thanksgiving after going to my parents house for the usual feast) to prepare. The maps were plotted and loaded into the GPS, the gear was spread all around the living room, the bike was prepared and I finally lay down to a restless sleep dreaming of mountainous dirt/gravel roads.

Here is a picture of my bike on Thanksgiving night fully loaded and ready to go. I canít claim the existing dirt on the bike as part of the trip since cleaning the bike took a back seat to a nut & bolt check, tire check, chain check, and gear check. My poor 08 SV650S looks lonely in the background, I am sure I will be riding her as soon as I get back though lol.

These are the maps of the tracks I saved over the trip.

FULL MAP:

A close up of most of the dirt:

Some stats for the trip:

Days traveled: 2
Miles Traveled: 981 miles
Approximate dirt miles traveled: 250-300
Hours spent in the saddle: 19 hours
MREs eaten: 2
Deer seen: 0
Deer hunters seen: many+more
Bike drops: just wait and see lol
EnderTheX is offline   Reply With Quote