View Single Post
Old 11-29-2009, 07:59 PM   #21
EnderTheX
Drunken Squirrel

Oddometer: 2,710
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmex
For me the criteria for being able to take a bike off road comfortably is the ability to spin a donut so you can change directions easily when things are deteriorating. This manuever is needed going uphill, downhill, and flat. Prior to taking an inch out of the suspension I was about 70% depending on terrain - hills being easier by nature of their intrinsic bias. After lowering I can spin a donut easily anyhwere and safely and quickly turn around without looking like a dork making a ten point turn. A lower seat would not work well for me since the pegs with the standard seat are perfect for the sitting to standing transition. With the Touratech risers I am standing nearly all the time off road.I would be cramped with the low seat - I tried it.

If I had to "Captain Morgan" the bike, I would not ride it. Whatever works for you is the right answer.
"I would not ride it, whatever works for you" is a crappy answer. Just because some of us are short and not skilled enough to "donut" a bike around at a moments notice doesn't mean we are idiots for not lowering the bike...

Is there no benefit to an extra inch of travel in rough terrain?
Is looking like a "dork" at stop lights enough to cause you to compromise your suspension?
Is struggling to turn around on a hill enough to compromise?

I choose to ride with the crippling scenario of not being able to firmly plant both feet wherever I go because I like to know I have the suspension even if I am too much of a noob to be able to fully use it.

EDIT: Sorry tmex this is no affront on your belief and after thinking about if for a couple minutes I can see a value of turning around quickly and being comfortable when stopped. BUT seriously... what is the suspension there for if you can't use every mm of it?...

EnderTheX screwed with this post 11-29-2009 at 08:04 PM
EnderTheX is offline   Reply With Quote