View Single Post
Old 12-01-2009, 09:45 AM   #8
thetourist OP
Just passing thru

Oddometer: 3,860

Greenwood is a colorful little town with lots of nice bldgs.

Town Hall, if I remember correctly

the Post Office.

At the edge of town was this oddity. Where did the dirt go? Was there a railway thru it or over it? Hmmm

I could have crossed the border here, but I haven't found my cookies yet. Lemon Crunch, a store brand, and I can't remember the store name.

It looks a bit stormy in the mountains.

An interesting road below the bridge, but the impending weather keeps me going forward.

BC has such good riding. Good roads. Low traffic. Great scenery.

A few junctions and decisions later I find myself in Nelson,BC. This is one of my favorite destinations. A laid back town with lots of small shops set up for walking around. I take a break for a cup of tea at this place up on the hill. The young waitress was friendly and easy to look at. I plopped into a comfy overstuffed chair and started to read "Lois on the Loose". The chair won and I started to head bob. More decisions. Take a nap, and make a spectacle of myself or get back on the bike.

Down at the gas station the pump wont take my card. The scanner inside won't take my card. I relinquish a $20 US and get bad conversion rates

An Atm down the street won't take my card. Hmmm. This puts a crick in my trip.

I've let myself get low on cash. $10 us and about $12 canadian. 300 mi from home. Time to head south for home in a direct line.

Kootenay Pass. The highest pass in BC.

At Creston I top off the gas using my Canadian money. Since no one will take Canadian when I cross the border, I spend it on cookies. Not the cookies I was looking for, but a nice cheesecake crunchy cookie. Mmmm.

The Porthill Crossing Post Office.

Back in the USA and the light is great.

Watch out for those north Idaho turkeys.

I came around the corner and these guys were 10ft deep and clear across the road. Edge to edge, and they didn't move. I came to a stop and got out the camera. A car came by and divided the flock. This pic is only half of them.

I hit reserve just before home. I still had some change in my pocket, too.

So, a bit of drama that turned out OK. It seems the bank issued me a new replacement card (with different numbers) and canceled the old one. My old one was still in good shape and I hadn't put the new one in my wallet. Doh!

Next up is my trip, a couple weeks later, from north Idaho thru Oregon to the Lost Coast, CA. Thru the Wallowas, John Day, Mt Lassen Park, Redwoods Park, Hwy 36.
thetourist is offline   Reply With Quote