View Single Post
Old 12-02-2009, 03:10 AM   #15
thetourist OP
Just passing thru

Oddometer: 3,973

Some nice bldgs in Baker. This is like a skyscraper in the towns I frequent.

Geiser Grand. I learned, after the fact, that there is a tour. Next time.

Nice house, on the way south out of town on hwy 7

Nice ranch. When I was very small, my parents worked on ranches in this area. That was a lo-o-o-ng time ago.

John Day Post Office.

Less than a mile away is the Canyon City PO

Seneca OR.

I stopped at the Seneca Lodge for a cool drink and saw the Bobcat. He looked a bit lonely. The pics seem to have disappeared.

Shortly thereafter things get hot, dry and barren.

both directions on a low hill.

I take refuge from the glare.

I sat here a couple hours. I had an eye get dry then turned super sensitive to the light.

I taped up my visor. I was driving straight into the glare. Even when the sun got low it was intense.

A really smelly lake. Sulphurous.

Sedimentary.

A sign said these cliffs were a 1000ft high. A 1000ft of sediments.

It turned dark shortly after here. I grabbed some supper in Lakeview and headed out of town. (south on 395). 30 mph repeating my night mantra. "Watch for deer. Watch for deer. Is that a deer? Watch for deer."

Near the CA border I find a wide spot and set up my tent. There are creepy crawlies out here so I like the tent instead of a tarp. I leave the fly off so I can see the Milky Way directly overhead north/south with my tent. Sometime in the night I awaken and the Milky Way has shifted and runs diagonal. Some coyotes are making a lot of noise. I listen about 5minutes and am sound asleep, again.

thetourist screwed with this post 12-05-2009 at 01:14 AM
thetourist is offline   Reply With Quote