View Single Post
Old 12-03-2009, 08:17 AM   #2
bxr140
Flame Bait

Oddometer: 1,041
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffo
...I don't have the cash for a pure trackbike...

...what are your thoughts?
You're barking up the wrong tree. If you can't afford a trackbike, you can't afford to take your umpteen thousand dollar BMW onto the track. Its really as simple as that.

For the record, I commuted on (as in, no car) my "trackbike" for years. I know how it goes. You'll either pussy foot it around the track, and hence, will be a danger to yourself and others, or you'll ride it like you should, and may end up crashing it at some point. Not to mention the ergos of a dual sport are awful for an actual race track.

Also note that for what it would cost to get a 17" wheel and track tires, you'd probably be halfway (or more) to a track bike anyway. In the US, you can probably get a well set up ninja 250 for well under $2k, and you can find 600's out there (not that I'd recommend them as a track bike--too much power for a noob) for $3k (again, USD). Even if you don't get a set up track bike, just about any cheap bike is a better idea than your BMW.

Other than coming onto ADVrider and posting pictures of yourself pyloning around in the slow group on your expensive dual sport, there's really no point.
bxr140 is offline   Reply With Quote