View Single Post
Old 12-04-2009, 02:00 PM   #1
DockingPilot OP
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer: 9,218
The Ultimate 2300 Mile 12 Day Big Duelie Ride Thru VT, NH, ME & NB Canada In The Fall

To be honest, I thought this years trip was going to be a compromise. We figured it was a good year to scale back the cost of shipping bikes and flying somewhere out west. We'd keep it close this year. Close means the east coast and the east coast, to me, means a compromise at best.
Wrong.
This trip proved to be really awesome. Way, way better than I ever thought it would be. However is was the most difficult trip to plan. We wanted to stay off pavement. You just cannot trust Gazetteers when it comes to logging roads in Maine and Canada. I needed local help in routing and got it big time. More on that later though.
The trip was 12 days and 2,350 miles. Surprisingly, most of it off the tar. In fact once we hit the shores of Vermont, it was just about all off pavement until we hit the Northumberland Strait in New Brunswick Ca. We mangaed to thread together some of the most scenic, remote, big woods, dirt road, logging road and 2 track. Northern Maine and New Brunswick was really slick. I met guys from the New Brunswick Dual Sport Club or "NBDSC" as they call themselves, during the trip and as you will soon see, better men, I have not met. We went in late Sept and we nailed it. The foliage that is. The colors were bursting at 100% in the northern sections of the route.
The trip proved to be one of my most memorable and enjoyable and was in no way, "a compromise".
We called the trip "The 2009 Turf & Surf Adventure"

Let me take you ladies along:

Here's the Cliff Notes version

And here's the detailed version with more photos and intel, the GPS file location is posted over in Tracks:

We didn't want to get up at o'dark-thirty and ride up the New York State Thruway from NJ for 180 miles so we opted to trailer the bikes to Albany NY to a secure place I know and start from there.
Bruce and I loaded the bikes ready to head north in the am.

The staging area. We met Tim here in Albany. But no Duane. Where's Duane ?

Duane calls, he just woke up
He'll ride like hell and catch up to us tonight in Vermont some 360 miles away.

My plan was to ride north through the Adirondacks in NY for 150 miles, then take the ferry across Lake Champlain and into Vermont. When we pulled into the Essex ferry dock, it was on the hour and the boat was loading. Our timing could not have been better.

The trip across the lake was just beautiful and a great way to kick off this years adventure.
Bruce topside taking my picture. A side note about Bruce. I call him Redcorn. I don't know why. He is also a 2 time ECEA (East Coast Enduro Association) Grand Champion & multi time ISDE USA rider. Was, now he's an old goat.
Bruce is riding the Super Enduro.

We landed on the Vermont side soon enough

and picked up the Vermont PDR route (north) and rode dirt road to the Stowe area and grabbed a motel. A dam expensive one too I might add. $150 to sleep ! It was pretty cool out and it was getting dark and besides Bruce was paying

I'll be back asap to continue when we shove off and head north through Vermont.

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"

DockingPilot screwed with this post 02-07-2010 at 05:09 PM
DockingPilot is online now   Reply With Quote