View Single Post
Old 12-09-2009, 05:41 AM   #9
HighFive OP
Never Tap-Out

Oddometer: 2,680
Before leaving, I got an idea from another forum post and bought a $2 face shield from Harbor Freight. A little velcro....and I had a nifty windshield extension. This did a good job diverting most of the air flow away from my chest. I was sooooooo thankful for this little mod by the time I was passing thru southern Oklahoma, as it was still so very cold this day.

That's when it happened. In a flash, a gust of wind ripped the little windshield extension off the fairing and sent it whooshing into oblivion.
Now I realized just how effective this little device was. Even though I was dead on schedule to hit the rendezvous, I had to divert into Home Depot at Gainesville, TX to devise a replacement. 30 minutes later, I'm all fixed up, and the improved replacement model would hold out for the duration of the trip!

No photos in transit, cause the real trip didn't start until after the Rendezvous Point. That was the only real plan we had....to meet at Braums in Weatherford, TX for a burger and a celebratory milkshake toast. But that's where the Plan ends and the Adventure begins. No schedule, No maps, No problems!

Amazingly, Monty is waiting on me when I arrive. I've just ridden 5 hours and need a break. However, he only gives me 21 minutes and 32 seconds before ordering "mount your horses, we've got to ride! Its a big state, we've got to hurry!!"

Oh well, off we go....into the beautiful Texas Hill Country. Apparently, we are going to ride All of it. Take the Loooong way down to Big Bend.

This is Monty's country. He's Trailboss now. I'm just enjoying the ride and some "warmer" weather.....I think it was up to a balmy 40 degrees. I was starting to sweat.

We went south from Weatherford toward Fredricksburg and hit all the good stuff. Really...REALLY...beautiful roads through there. And I was so pleased to discover the Fall Colors were still "in" across this area.

I'm poking along, taking in the scenes, while Monty is WAY out front playing Scout. That's when I make another discover....yup, add a little more to my slice of pie:

Hit the Brakes and skid to a stop! And I do what it says...

And this is where Monty finds me....300 yards ahead in front of this entrance...when the Search & Rescue backtracks to my location:

I mean, Hey, its not every day you find a "Motorcycle Friendly" spot like this. I think we need to go check this place out. "Nothing doing", says the Trailboss, "we're in a HURRY".

Huh? I've got all week....maybe more. I ain't in a hurry! No Plan, No Schedules, No Problems....remember? Besides, how can you honestly "hurry" across the full length of the largest state in the mainland USA? Hhhhmmmm........

HF
Athena Big Bore Project

HighFive screwed with this post 12-09-2009 at 05:57 AM
HighFive is offline   Reply With Quote