View Single Post
Old 12-10-2009, 04:44 PM   #25
HighFive OP
Never Tap-Out

Oddometer: 2,710
If you're going to camp in the Big Bend, you have to take the long ride up to park headquarters at Panther Junction to select and pay for your "spot". Monty warned me to stay within the 45 mph speed limit on the paved road...as they will ticket you for just 2 mph over! Sure enough, 12 miles ahead we passed a Park Ranger hiding behind a bush with a radar gun.

Anyway, Monty takes care of business and then we ride our pack mules for nearly 1 hour into the back country to his favorite little hidy hole. It was a beauty too....where we were sure to never be interrupted by anyone!

We setup camp in some rather ominous looking weather, then set out to exploring....for the rest of the day. Think we did about 100 miles by dark....rain & all. I can't explain the beauty of this area adequately. Every 10 miles or so, it seems like you've entered a whole different Eco-System. It really starts growing on you....while you get swallowed by the stunning surroundings.

This wall was big....really big. Maybe 1,000 ft tall...

I could easily spend a day exploring this canyon wall on foot. Add that to my Bucket List for next time.

Closer to the Rio Grande River, down near the Village, we find this cool tunnel.

And the view on the other side....well....just takes your breath away!

These last two photos are a progression as Monty rides down the road. Look very hard into the center of the last photo and you can see the tiny black dot in the road....that's Monty. Yeah, its kind of like that. A bit overwhelming. Pictures can never do it justice because you simply don't get the "feeling" that occurs when you're there. But hang in there, we'll keep trying...

HF
Athena Big Bore Project
HighFive is online now   Reply With Quote