View Single Post
Old 12-10-2009, 07:33 PM   #28
HighFive OP
Never Tap-Out

Oddometer: 2,636
Aaahh yes....Black Gap Trail indeed. What a mighty fine trail it was. Best one I rode in the Park so far. Much more "work" than the other roads....which was a good thing....cause it help "heat" us up. The weather had really taken a turn for the worse. It was windy, rainy, and COLD! The ground was getting slick and sticky at the same time. Just what you bargain for when you're in the Middle of Nowhere.

Returning to camp, we had one of the largest whitetail deer (both body & rack) I've ever seen....strut out into the middle of the road right in front of us. Monty could of spit on him. And I had a Park Ranger argue with me later, that there weren't any Whitetails within 500 miles of the Big Bend, just mule deer only. But what do I know...

Returning to camp, the weather continued to deteriorate further.

And the rains came down....for the rest of the night. Our campsite used to be some kind of old homestead back in the day. There was one dilapidated old shed back in the bushes with a partial tin roof. Looked to be pre-depression era. We took refuge in there while using Monty's reflective safety blanket for a makeshift roof liner.

Somewhere under that pitiful shelter, in the miserable cold rain, I look up at Monty and tell him, "Dude...I need a fire! I can't spend 5 more nights like this without a fire." (Memo to File: Big Bend National Park does not permit campfires)

Monty agrees its a bleak predicament considering the forecast which he checked at the park headquarters when we arrived. This is when Monty drops the biggest bombshell of the entire week. Everybody listen up....

"Well....we could go the the other Big Bend." Say what? There's another one? I never heard of that. Ain't on my map!

Monty says, "Sure thing....its the old Big Bend Ranch that the State of Texas has purchased and turned into a park. Might be even better, at least we can have a campfire there." "Only been open a few years, and only recently for motorcycles. That's right, it used to be No Motorcycles Allowed until about a year ago. Probably haven't been more than a hundred riders see it yet...."

Hhhmmmm.....only 60 miles West, you say. Let's go check it out first thing tomorrow!

Monty agrees, but says we'll have to hurry!

All I can say about the rest of the night is this:

HF
Athena Big Bore Project WRRDualsport.com

HighFive screwed with this post 12-10-2009 at 07:42 PM
HighFive is offline   Reply With Quote