View Single Post
Old 12-11-2009, 06:10 PM   #34
HighFive OP
Never Tap-Out

Oddometer: 2,710
The rest of the morning was spent making the long trek through the West side of Big Bend Nat'l. Park. Passing by Pine Canyon, The Basin, and many other enticing areas begging to be explored (add those to my Bucket List for next time). We push onward through fog, rain, and cold until we finally exit the park into the quaint little town of Study Butte.

Being well overdue for thawing out, we opted for the local hotdog stand for lunch:

Mmmmgood! Nothing quite like Mexican food, right on the Mexican border. I could eat it every day!!

Heading West we make a little detour into the old Ghost Town of Terlingua:

Lots of cool "Old West" stuff here to rummage through. Must have been quite the place....back in the day.

This was the home base for folks working the Chisos Mine....where they were mining Mercury, I think.

But you'll be glad to know we found some nice cabin rentals....should you get a hankering to hang your hat in this old town for a few days:

Now folks....as Monty is my witness....I ain't lyin bout them there Cabin Rentals.

Onward mush, we've got 80 miles to cover to get checked into the "Ranch" before dark. So, we push on through Lajitas, racing along Hwy 170 paralleling the border along the mighty Rio Grande.

*******Special News Flash********

The stretch of Hwy 170 through this area is absolutely one of the prettiest roads I've ever ridden in my life. Huge, gorgeous canyon walls....up & down, full of twisting winding road in immaculate condition. Best of all....no traffic on this day!

I've lived in Montana....gone to the Sun. Ran the Blue Ridge, and even the Chero-Hala Skyway. They are all fabulous. Highway 170 along this southern border of Texas, as crazy as that sounds, is one of the most spectacular I've ever seen. Book it!

We did find a couple of spots along the river to take a nice photo of the border:

These shots are before we got into the really good part of Hwy 170. Not sure why, but we never stopped for a really spectacular photo in the canyons. Oh yeah....it was because we were in a hurry. But this time, we really were.

We did find this one place where we could drop off the road and ride down into the middle of the Rio Grande. This was cool....so being the dashingly daring riders we were, we did it.

As best we could tell, my bike was splitting the border at this point. Then suddenly...without warning Monty exposes his wild side and throws caution to the wind:

Mercy Sakes...Amigo! Be El Hombre Mas Macho....con Huevos ! ! !

HF
Athena Big Bore Project
HighFive is offline   Reply With Quote