View Single Post
Old 12-11-2009, 07:44 PM   #35
HighFive OP
Never Tap-Out

Oddometer: 2,709
We fill up our supertankers in Persidio, then make a dash for the park in pouring rain. After a long....looong....dirt road ride, we're finally getting closer.

Formerly the headquarters for a series of privately owned ranches, La Sauceda today lies at the heart of Big Bend Ranch State Park. The original ranch was founded in 1884 by William Woodworth Bogel, and with his 3 brothers, they operated a huge Hereford cattle ranch. The Bogel's sold out to Edwin & Mannie Fowlkes in the early 1930's, and the operation gained 500 head of angora goats. They also expanded the land holding to 500 sections of land.

The ranch passed through other ownership a few more times until the Texas parks and Wildlife Department began purchasing it in 1988. Covering nearly 500,000 acres the park is half the size of Rhode Island. But I'm not sure why they like to make that comparison....so far away in south Texas.

No paved roads here. And I didn't see any Park Rangers hiding behind a bush with a radar gun. Though, you really won't want to go very fast as you'll just miss too much fascinating stuff.....like these caves we found along the main road entering the park:

These excellent natural shelters were all over this particular canyon, and appeared to have been the housing for native inhabitants for several primitive centuries.

Wow....the stories these old walls could tell.

This is an amazingly cool area to explore. I could easily spend a day snooping around here. Please add that to my Bucket List...

We were pleased the rain had stopped, at least for a while, as we made our way up to La Sauceda Headquarters.

We quickly agreed (with Ranger input) on some hidden remote campsite and then set out to find it before darkness swallowed us. We made it....just barely. And the rains returned. Cold freezing rain. It pretty much soaked are tents inside out as we setup our camp between two giant rock slabs....hoping for a little wind protection.

Then all we could do was huddle by the fire. But we had FIRE! Just as Monty had promised ! !

And made darn-tootin good use of it...

Aaahh....steak & baked potatoes cooked over real aged mesquite wood. Honestly, it doesn't get any better than this. We almost forgot the weather...almost.

Things were looking up for tomorrow. I had a feeling...

HF
Athena Big Bore Project

HighFive screwed with this post 12-11-2009 at 07:53 PM
HighFive is offline   Reply With Quote