View Single Post
Old 12-11-2009, 08:20 PM   #37
HighFive OP
Never Tap-Out

Oddometer: 2,631
Day 5

We eventually awoke to greet the lovely weather.

Still cold....still wet. The temperature was a frigid 26 degrees. Before leaving, I had purchased a nifty little thermometer from Aerostitch that snaps onto the handlebar. Now....I'm having to repress my urge to throw that thing into the bushes as far as I could. I've always said "checking the weather brings bad luck".

But we have this really beautiful mountain view from our campsite:

Really....we do...you'll see....maybe.

Monty rises and guarantees me this will be a beautiful day! One we'll never forget. I love his perpetual optimism......cause it works. The rain stops & the sky soon to clear up.

While waiting for the view to improve, we discover some more cool, ancient stuff around our campsite.

Natural spring-fed water tanks

Fancy automated grain feeders

And petrified dead cattle that apparently couldn't find the water or feed only 50 yards away.

The deck is lifting and its almost time to RIDE!

Let's go find out what is hiding over here on "The Other Side of Nowhere".

Some good stuff, Maynard. Some mighty good stuff!

We don't know where we're going. We just keep going....and going!

500,000 acres and we're the ONLY guests on the ranch!

Como se dise' "Total Desolation" Oh...what a feeling!

And there are lots of big hills to climb, if you're so inclined.

With plenty of loose bowling balls to make Monty pucker...

This park is truly a geological wonder. There are all kinds of fascinating rock formations.

Being a Petroleum Engineer by degree, I'm half geologist. And the exposed "details" in this park just blows my mind. A real big volcano once uprooted this area. Turned it over like a farmer's plow. Its kind of like the 8th Wonder of the World (to me).

Late in the afternoon, we decide to search for something called "Madrid Falls". We did an awful lot of rough riding, but I never made it to Madrid. However, Monty did have some success finding the Falls...

What a terrific day! Think the temperature even made it up to 40F. Promising....very promising....
HF
Athena Big Bore Project WRRDualsport.com

HighFive screwed with this post 12-11-2009 at 08:38 PM
HighFive is offline   Reply With Quote