View Single Post
Old 12-12-2009, 10:14 AM   #43
HighFive OP
Never Tap-Out

Oddometer: 2,515
All to soon, we were clothed in darkness....and a beautiful night it was indeed.

While the sky had cleared, the Temperature plummeted, but at least it wasn't raining.

Day 6

The first truly gorgeous day of the whole trip has arrived. And, Monty is packing his bags to go home.

I'm all alone now.....on The Other Side of Nowhere.

No support, no backup, no cell....No Plan, NO Schedule, & NO PROBLEMS!

First things first: its laundry day. Got to dry out everything!

Soon enough, I'm off into the wild yonder. And just can't help feeling so puny....all by myself.

Ran into a LOT of deer this morning. This Mulie was a nice one with a really big rack!

I'm always amazed by this scene. I'd be riding along and see a lone hardwood tree. Very sparse through the park, but there would always be just one tree, with a spring of water near the base. Makes me wonder if the Ranchers of old, planted these for markers....back in the day?

Being solo is nice. Its a real FREE feeling. I'd rather Monty be here and not miss today's adventure. He's one of the best Adventure Mates you could ever hope for. But being so alone....so deep in the back country....so far from civilization or any support....well, it just gave me a feeling that I can't describe adequately. And I liked it.

I started noticing things that I hadn't before. Maybe because of the weather. Maybe because we seemed in a hurry. But probably because in that Pie of All Knowledge, my slice is so small, as I've acknowledged. And today, my piece of the pie grew a bit bigger!

For instance, I didn't know there were so many different kinds of cactus. I knew about the green prickly kind.

But I didn't know it was available in Purple!

Then I came across the remnant of the last Solo rider in these mountains of the Chiuahuan desert.

A bit unnerving, I'll admit, but I didn't let that stop me. I pushed on....deeper....

and....deeper....

10 miles...15 miles....20 miles....

Feeling punier with each rocky mile.

TODAY was THE DAY. I could just feel it. Something special was going to happen.

HF
Athena Big Bore Project WRRDualsport.com

HighFive screwed with this post 12-12-2009 at 11:53 AM
HighFive is offline   Reply With Quote