View Single Post
Old 12-12-2009, 12:33 PM   #44
HighFive OP
Never Tap-Out

Oddometer: 2,683
There is a stubby little puffy kind:

And a skinny short spiny kind:

Soon, I approach a crossroads. Decision time....I choose the "Guale Mesa" direction, because it looks like it hasn't been maintained in over half a century, and because....well....I like guacamole. I'm the Trailboss now. I can make any decision I want without any debate.

About the time I'm feeling lost, I come across these pair of interesting relics.

I ponder these for a good while, and conclude it must be some kind of ditch-digger.....back in the day. But I'm gonna have to recruit some help from the BigDog.....to get his buddy Randy to give it a looksee. He'll know what it is. He knows everything. He got one of those big slices of pie.

Deeper yet, I continue to drill into these desolate formations. That's when the feeling comes back. A real strong HF feeling. Some of you know about that. Something down there is drawing me like a magnet. I can feel the pull...

The hills get so steep and the road so rough, I start having 2nd thoughts about being soooooo remote, all alone, where know one ever ventures, and know one knows I'm here. I mean, after all, those workers still haven't come back to get their ditch diggers, eh?

So, I do what any responsible Solo rider should do when deep in the back country....I continue, no retreating. And my feeling was right.

Ho-chi-momma....what is that?

Hhhmmmm.....this definitely warrants a closer look. To infinity and beyond! The old trail ends very close to the edge of a sheer vertical cliff that was probably 2,000 ft to the floor.

So, THIS is the "Guale Mesa". The photos don't do it justice. It just takes my breath away! Well, time for a lunch break, so I climb to the top of the highest rock pile on the sheer edge of the Mesa wall.

Got Monty's tuna. Got Monty's home-grown onion. Even brought an extra drink for him. But Monty is not here. Oh....poor Monty! I can't believe you missed this. But I sure did enjoy your lunch. You're a good Mate, no matter what the inmates say.

I stick around here for a couple of hours. This is the only point in the Big Bend Ranch State Park that I found cell coverage. Three bars too! Remember that if you're ever out this way. But its a long, loooong ride on the roughest road in the park that I found all week. ALL I wanted on my KLR....and I'm no novice. FWIW. Anyway, called the wife, first time we've spoken in about 3 days. Told her "no...I'm not on my way home yet. Monty bailed. Me...I'm gonna have to stay a few more days. Just can't leave this place. Luv & hugs...over & out."

Got to give this spot: two thumbs up!

Just hope I can get out of here alive! Gonna be a long hard climb 12 miles through those big hills.

HF
Athena Big Bore Project

HighFive screwed with this post 12-12-2009 at 12:48 PM
HighFive is online now   Reply With Quote