View Single Post
Old 12-13-2009, 03:01 PM   #36
thetourist OP
Just passing thru

Oddometer: 4,023
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackL
Hey, that's the Union Hotel. I've stayed there twice with my girlfriend on the way to her parents. The first time we couldn't make it over the pass in a snowstorm so turned around. The 2nd time we planned to stay. A great place that many famous people like Clark Gable & John Wayne have stayed at. They do a good dinner on Fri or Sat.
Check it out next time you're through there. Only about $60/night.

I will have to stop and inspect it more closely. Such a big Hotel in a small town surprised me.

I read some history on this town, along the Oregon Trail. Apparently this area was rejected by the pioneers, early on. The Willamette Valley was the big draw in the Oregon Territory, but eventually settlements started in the Grande Ronde, Powder and Wallowa valleys in the 1860's.

Union became a transfer spot for wagon freighters. Supplies were changed from wagon to pack trains. Also, Union and La Grande traded the county seat several times, so it was a seat of government.
thetourist is offline   Reply With Quote