View Single Post
Old 01-08-2005, 11:49 AM   #10
Happe
Offroad Nut

Oddometer: 677
Quote:
Originally Posted by meat popsicle

And please, answer truthfully. This is for posterity...

Kick starting thumpers
Before anything else: is the bike on and out of gear? Kill switch set to run? Choked if cold? Good, now stand on the same side as your kick starter, lean the bike towards you slightly, and:

1) Engage manual decompression lever,

2) Kick thru several times with decompression engaged to get a fresh charge in the cylinder,

3) Disengage the manual decompression lever,

4) Lightly push the kick starter down until it engages the compression stroke (won't go down further),

5) Engage the manual decompression lever again,

6) Gently push the kick starter down one more inch (stop!) to get the stroke past TDC reducing the compression for the kick start,

7) Disengage the manual decompression lever and release the kick starter so it tops out,

8) (Get Ready) Hop up and bring your weight down on the kick starter. Violence is not necessary, just a complete kick thru. If you give it a half-hearted, sissy-la-la, titsie-baby, candy-ass, rooty-poop kick... and don't reach the bottom, that the motor will take offense and try to put your knee thru your nose,

9) Is it started already!?!

Mine starts very easily this way; even the actual kick was easy! Replaces cursing with a smile. It only took my friend a year of troubleshooting to refine this method...

The fresh charge might be one of the keys, but I think that #6 is the real key; this puts the piston just past TDC so that the actual compression ratio from you kick stroke is lower than the full stroke's compression ratio. Even a high compression 600+ cc thumper is easy with this method.

PS - the LH kick doesn't bother me a bit. what all the fuss is about...
Hi Meat,

Nice tutorial
But
its only true for the E-start generation of the Lc4 engine
It worked like a charm on my ADV '03 and all the other @ventures I know, but not on my Rally. The difference that finally makes my Rally start, ist this little inch after the Autodeko shuts the Outlet Valves (the loud klick).
On the older Kickstart Versions you shouldn't set the piston after centre.
The rest is exactly as you'd described.
I had to learn it the hard way as I bought the Rally. I was kickin' for nearly 5 minutes and my lungs were hurting, I was sweating like a pig. Then the previous owner came and showed me how to do it, it was just this bloody inch. The Rally started first kick
And it does it ever since

cheers

Stefan
Happe is offline   Reply With Quote