View Single Post
Old 12-23-2009, 12:43 AM   #1
GoneAgain OP
Huh?

Oddometer: 1,433
Gone, Again... ( Random Adventures in Oz )

Ok, so this is my thread... random trips to various parts of Australia, and perhaps, just perhaps, who knows where else..

I've decided i won't do a different thread for each ride, that way, i'll be 'encouraged' to do more rides by the fact that this tread is getting stale/has not moved for a while... or thats my theory...and it seems to be working so far..

So, put on your slippers, grab yourself a nice big cup of cocoa...and enjoy the ride, i did!

So, it was time to go on my first 'real' ride...

rough plan was to meet up with some mates at the Grampians for a few days of dirt... how i got there and back was my problem

Ended up leaving after work a few days early... but later at night than i wanted to..

Didn't get far up into the hills before the sun set..

not too sure which way i went, but i decided to head for Mannum and camp in the caravan park there for the night... the track i took had way too many gates...

also lots of bloody big spiders (huntsmen perhaps) that would mosey across the track in my headlight beam while i was stopped to open gates....

Anyway, got to Mannum , pulled into the caravan park just before 10pm, office was closed with a sign saying dont ring the bell unless its an emergency... so in i went and found a 'nice' spot... parked and headed down the main street in search of a beer...

only one pub was open..well, kinda open, they were kickin everyone out, but managed to get a couple of take-aways..

back to camp and started to setup tent, when the (apparently) owner rocked up with a whole lot of attitude about how i was trespassing and he should call the cops blah blah blah...

didnt i see bell next to the office door..? "yep" i said, and "i also saw the sign under it that said not to use it after 9:30 unless its an emergency.."

anyway, he wasnt happy and was carrying on about calling the cops so i just said.." what would you like me to do mate...? you gonna call the cops, do you want me to fix you up now, or do you want me to fix you up in the morning like i was gonna...?"

"well", he says.. ya better fix me up now, just in case you decide to leave early in the morning..."

fine with me... ( i know an unpowered site is $21 )

"Its $25 this time of night" he says..

"oh, as opposed to $21 if i had have gotten you out of bed..?"

grumble grumble... he doesnt have change and walks away with $20 bucks.........

--

whatta you know, i do wake up early the next morning..

I cant even have a shower as he didnt give me a key.. had enough of this place, being the first 'full' day of the trip i dont wanna get in too negative a headspace, so i pack, ride by the office (still closed) and wack an extra dollar in his key return box.... seems like he needs it more than me...

start heading north along the Murray..

its gonna be a hot day..

cross the murray at Purnong

and start heading east on the dirt...

so many of these out here:

and these:

dirt it over to Karoonda for fuel, then down towards Ngarkat Conservation Park...

the onboard computer is telling me its 38 degrees..

i hit the park..

i've got about 60kms of this to get accross...

bloody hell its hot!

GoneAgain screwed with this post 09-06-2011 at 01:13 AM
GoneAgain is online now   Reply With Quote