View Single Post
Old 12-29-2009, 05:23 PM   #16
Zacharia_11
11th Assassin

Oddometer: 248
Quote:
Originally Posted by toowheels
...[snip]...
Yip the current plate worked with Touratech (and most probably Git) engine bars only. Some people like the increased coverage and think I should do two versions. Any thoughts y'all? There seems to be a lot of the Git set up out there and I think a good part of that is the front and side coverage of their skid plate.
...[snip]...

You've got the GIT plate beat for coverage underneath:

I think the GIT plates as got you beat upfront:

I think BMW has you both beat on compatibility?
*I have seen this plate on several crash bar set ups, and I think this is attributed to the lower side coverage.

For me the best of both worlds is of course maximum coverage with my chosen bars, but for you I think the maximum coverage with maximum compatibility from a single plate is probably better.

If I am you, I keep the skid plates lower/bottom coverage you have, beef up the coverage for a direct frontal impact and debris (closer to GIT), and sacrifice a little of that side coverage for compatibility. If you can provide more side coverage that BMW's stocker and still be compatible, your construction and durability should win over some of the market.

For me I picked the crash bars I wanted then looked for compatible bash plates. If I picked the Adventure Spec bars, I would have just ordered the plate along with it.

2013 Honda CB500X
Zacharia_11 is offline   Reply With Quote