View Single Post
Old 12-30-2009, 05:54 PM   #15
LewisNClark OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 966
Must have been across your front yard.

3-July-1806:
Clark and 22 members of the Expedition - near Victor, Montana

Clark's party members are on horseback. Clark leads the largest party of soldiers and civilians 36 miles to a campsite near today's Hamilton, MT. Potts who had a severely cut leg is in much pain after being bounced on a hard riding horse. There is plenty of deer meat available but they also suffer from the tormenting mosquitoes.

Clark wrote in his journal: "I took my leave of Captain Lewis and the Indians (two Nez Perce guides) and at 8:00 AM set out with 19 men, Interpreter Charbonneau, Sacajawea, and infant (1yr 5 mths old) with 50 horses. Clark heads home to St Louis and on this same day Lewis was headed NE to Cut Bank, MT looking for last chance to find a Northwest Passage, and boundary of the United States and Canadian border.

Location: 9 miles South of Victor, Montana. From Victor, MT go South of Hwy 93, go past Dutch Hill Road & Woodside Cutoff Road. About 1 and mile past these two roads the campsite should be on the right side of the road (heading south) beside a creek that runs under Hwy 93.

N 46.331056
W 114.14682

(Look for flat level area that would hold 22 people in tents and corral 50 horses). Could have been a lunch stop, but those were not documented in their journals. The site above was more than likely a campsite. Erosion frequently changed this area of the trail/river. Clark & party were headed to dig up cached supplies/tools south of Dillon (Camp Fortunate).

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadyRascal
7-3-06 site is just about on top of my house. I believe that was a lunch stop. Got the GPS numbers on that one?

LewisNClark screwed with this post 12-30-2009 at 05:59 PM
LewisNClark is online now   Reply With Quote