View Single Post
Old 01-03-2010, 10:58 AM   #9
Rockin Rollin OP
Rockin Adventurer

Oddometer: 689
Laugh Big Bend, Big Party

Texas Hill Country & Fredericksburg was next. Very nice riding. I especially liked the small twisty hilly roads that roamed
the countryside.

Flash floods are a big deal in the area. Check out the slab from left side of this bridge. See whereit ended up.

Suzi, lovin the scenery.

Heading for Big Bend national park

Stopped for gas coming into Big Bend national park and all of a sudden this runs by. This is a Javelina, a local wild pig.
There was a whole family of them. had to watch out for them on the roads.

Did my first camping of the trip in Big Bend. Froze my Ass.

Hiked the St. Helena Canyon next morning. met some other cool bikers riding cruisers. One told me of a great hike in the park
to "The Window". Which I did next.

The Window.

Hike was long, 5 miles round trip, but well worth it. Scenery and varying colours of were beautiful.

Careful where you step.

Riding in Hill country I had spoken with a fellow ADVer Adam who was from Virginia. has rode & is very familiar with the
west. He told me about a wild & crazy event that would be going on in Terlingua, just west of Big Bend. A Chilli cookoff.
10,000 people show up for the weekend & Party Hardee. After a boring early nite in Big bend previous nite I thought this might
be fun. & it was Friday nite. So here it is, that is only ~half of the site.

Met & hung out with, & had fun with some fellow dirt bikers I met on the way in. Chris, Buck & Larry.

It was a constant parade of different odd vehicles & people.

This guy had some good success with this sign. Can't post those pics but there were some proud ladies.

They also had a special showdown for the very proud ladies.

Camped again that nite but couldn't get any sleep. Thought I was in a quieter area but the party was everywhere & went all
nite. Plus I froze again. It was really more than i could stand and I had to leave the next day. 2 nites in a row with no
sleep would've done me in. Barely slep the nite B4 when I camped & froze in Big Bend

Met Shirley & Paul in RV next to me. Nice people. They also let me store my Beer in their cooler. Thanks.

Checked out the town of Terlingua with my local Budds.

This was their elected mayor of the town. Was eventually voted out due to a drinking problem. Liked beer and would drink them
just like this.

[B]Saw this strange site.:[/B]eek1

Different angle

Heading west from Terlingua
Click on:
-Now: Fly/ride - Panama to Alaska & pts between.
-2009 Colorado & West Fest
-Baja 2009 from Canada
"Take time, because time will eventually take you"! (and you never know just how much yer gonna get )
Let's ride!
07 Suzuki V-Strom 650 with ABS for long distance adventure & Dualsport
08 Husaberg FE450 (Street Plated)

Rockin Rollin screwed with this post 01-03-2010 at 11:09 AM
Rockin Rollin is offline   Reply With Quote