View Single Post
Old 01-17-2010, 01:41 PM   #21
Cactus Dave
Born to Argue

Oddometer: 691
I suggest a different (smaller, lighter and with e-start) bike for your first hare scramble/enduro. The XR650R is a great desert race bike - Baja 1000, Vegas to Reno, etc. It is NOT an enduro bike. They start easily when hot, and upright. If it has been on its side (and it does not have an Edelbrock carb), it is a HUGE PIA to get started. Kick, and Kick, and Kick, and Kick . . . . to clear it and get it started. And, if this is your first enduro, it will be on its side. It will exhaust you. Plus, the bike is long and tall and somewhat heavy for enduro work. If you're Scott Summers or Johnny Campbell, or Steve Hengeveld, you can make an XR650R do anything, anytime anywhere. Otherwise, it'll wear you out. I speak from experience . . . , and I'm a big XR650R fan.

If you have access to a 250, 400, or 450 with e-start, beg, borrow or steal it for your first effort. You'll have enough to concentrate on/worry about without the Big Red Pig working against you. I'd prefer you have a fun time and race often instead of having a miserable experience and swearing to never do another enduro.

All the best,

Cheers,

Dave
Cactus Dave is offline   Reply With Quote