View Single Post
Old 01-17-2010, 06:40 PM   #49
bmwhacker
Still on 3 wheels

Oddometer: 4,086
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpeckm
I too will be mounting one on my /6 with mechanical clock, some day.... Regarding the tach hookup: in may be mistaken (moi?...!!!) but I would try the following...

The tach "signal" for the electronic ignition is the equivalent of the points signal for the points bikes... i.e. the "hot" wire to the coil(s). Your two coils are wired in series in way that fires each coil. One wire comes from the harness (actually, the points), and then jumps over to the other coil. Thus, on the coil with two wires, tap into the terminal that does not have a wire going to the other coil.

Otherwise, you can wrap the Acewell pickup around one of the sparkplug high tension leads, as the describe in the instructions.

My preference, by far, would be to use the coil pickup.

So, try it, and let us know whether that is right, and if it is, I can thank you for figuring it out for MY /6....!!! and we can buy each other a beer....

oops... re: red wire: any place that is convenient will do, either the circuit board or the switch terminal.

Success today. ...got all the wiring figured out and only had three BMW harness wires left over!...1) the brake fluid level warning light which the Acewell has no light for......... 2) ended up with a white / black stripe wire which does not appear on any of my diagrams...it was a hot wire which activated with the key switch. Simply sealed it up and taped it in the loom.......3) and then the dual turn signal indicator...I did as the "author" and brought the left / right signal leads in individually....everything worked as it should.....rigged a seperate temporary wire for the "gen" light to make sure things functioned properly.
Will need to figure out the speedometer pickup assembly still....a couple of photos in this thread have given me some direction......

Had to be a little creative to clear the /5 friction damper I have on this rig....simply shortened the existing gauge mount and bent it a bit downward to gain the angle I wanted.....then fabricated a couple of spacers to gain the clearance height I needed for the damper knob. This stays in line with the "Rat" look I'm leaning towards.....The knarly looking wire / light to the left is a temporary "gen" light. I'll make a bracket for a red one and mount it off to the side....This thing is a "Rat" bike but the temporary "gen" light is even a too bit ratty for me...

Nice, simple, clean looking gauge.............I temporarily wired the tach using the "wrap" method prescribed....seemed pretty erratic so I'll hook into the coil as the author describes.....

I've been assembling this thing from parts and pieces from multiple donors for the past year, from the raw frame and up, and sometimes down .......should be ready to roll in a month or two....(?) I even rode it up the street and back today for its' maiden voyage (50 yds.) , albiet a little prematurely......(worn out, square front tire with 10 or so lbs. of air....)

This thing has dual discs with pretty tight areas so looks like I'll be utilizing one of the right side brake disc bolts and mounting the speedo pickup to a spot right behind the axle.

Living proof you shouldn't play with matches
ABC# 1992

bmwhacker screwed with this post 01-17-2010 at 07:19 PM
bmwhacker is offline   Reply With Quote